Followers

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hand of the Day #20

$1/$2 NLHE - MGM Detroit - 01/01/10

I'm UTG+1 with Jc Jh, and before I can raise, the SB puts out $12. The SB is an old Eastern European man dressed in a suit and tie. On the surface, he looks like a typical old nit, but he's actually a very loose and aggressive player. We've all been at the table for a while, and anyone with half a poker brain can see that he's a LAG-tard.

The dealer informs him that he's the SB, and the Old Man takes all the chips back but one white chip. That is a bit of a Red Flag, but I still decide to raise to $7. A few players call. The Old Man makes it $30, and I'm not surprised. But I was a little surprised when the BB snap called the $30. He's a loose regular who's is currently shortstacked.

I decide to just call rather than 3-bet. I figure the Old Man might shove All-In with a wide range. So I would rather see a Flop in position, and outplay him. All the other players fold.

Flop: 9s 7d 4h - Old Man pauses for a moment and checks. BB also checks. OK, now I'm confused. The Old Man doesn't seem like someone who would trap with AA or KK. It's possible that he's got 99. Or he could just have AK. Also, the BB has under $100 left, and there's $90+ in the pot. So I decide to bet $60, and see what happens.

Old Man quickly calls. BB thinks for a moment, and goes All-In for $78. I call the $18, and so does the Old Man.

Turn: [9s 7d 4h] 2s - Old Man checks. Now I know he's got AK. As much as I would like to value bet, there is too much money in that pot to get screwed on the River. I want him to pay for that 6-outer. I bet $125. He smacks the table in disgust, and folds in anger.

River: [9s 7d 4h 2s] 6s - BB shows his TT. I show my JJ, and scoop up a very sweet pot.

No comments: