Followers

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Riding The $2/$5 Rollercoaster

12:50 $500 - I walked into the Motor City Poker Room as they were opening up the first $2/$5 table of Sunday afternoon. I marked my chair (Seat 3), and headed over to the Cage. I bought $800 in chips, and put $300 in my pocket.

It took some time for everyone to leave their $1/$2 tables. Only one player bought in for the max of $500. Most others sat down with $200-$300. I'm not sure if that's normal, or just because they were playing $1/$2.

1:30 $318 - This table has been playing rather calm, which is what I expected on a Sunday afternoon. Lots of limping, but not much raising. I really only played one hand. I called a $20 raise with Td Ts in the Cutoff. Six players saw the Flop of 8h 7d 6d. The initial raiser (Hyjack) bet $100, and I was the only caller. Turn [8h 7d 6d] 3h. He went All-In for $235. I decided that this wasn't a battle worth fighting, and folded.

2:00 $497 - I pulled $200 in chips out of my pocket, and added them to my stack. Pot sizes have increased at this table. Players are really overvaluing Top Pair, and I'm not impressed by anyone at this table. A Lady wins an $800 pot with AQ on an A-high Flop against two players with lower kickers. The lower kickers were shortstacked, and got their stacks in the middle.

My cards suck so far. I did win my first pot of the session. There was one limper, and I was the BB with 72o. It got checked down, and I won the pot with a 4-Card Flush.

2:30 $580 - I limped on the Button with 87s. Six players saw the Flop of 9h 6s 2s. UTG (60's Lady) bet $35. It folds to me, and I decided to raise to $100 with my monster Combo Draw. After the Blinds fold, UTG goes All-In for $150 with A9o. The Turn was a Brick, but the River gives me the Straight.

Very next hand, there are a few limpers. I'm the Cutoff, and raise to $15 with AKh. Five players see the Flop of J T 3. It checks to me, and I bet $40. Only the Hyjack called. Turn [J T 3] 2. He goes All-In for over $200. I fold.

3:00 $466 - I lost chips in various small pots, $15 here and $25 there. Cards haven't been good so far. It's really frustrating to sit here while there are two Action Guys at the table, and one of them is on my direct Right. But I know that if I'm patient, then it should pay off.

3:30 $487 - I raised $15 in Mid with J9c. Four players saw the Flop of Qc 9d 8c. Action Guy on my Right leads out for $40. I decide to raise to $125 to isolate, but he folded.

I limped UTG+1 with KJd. Six players saw the Flop of Kh Qh Jc. I lead out for $20 with Top Two Pair, and get three callers. Turn was [Kh Qh Jc] 2d. It checked to me, and I bet $50. A Mid player called. The SB (50's guy) check-raised to $100. I knew this meant that he flopped the Straight. I called the extra $50, since he's giving me odds to hit my 4-outer. The Mid player also called. River [Kh Qh Jc 2d] 9c. All players checked, and SB wins the pot with T9d.

A few players limped. Mid player raised to $20, and Action Guy called. I'm the Cutoff. I look down at AKh, and 3-bet to $75. Only Action Guy "gives me some action". Flop was 7 2 2. He checked. I bet $125, and he folded quickly.

4:00 $356 - I raised in Mid position, but airballed the Flop. Next hand, I raise with Ad Ah. Only the Action Guy called. Flop was Tc Td 3d. He checked, I bet $25, and he called. Turn [Tc Td 3d] 5h. We both checked. River [Tc Td 3d 5h] 3c. He bets $50, and I call. He shows T8h, and scoops the pot.

A few limpers. I've got KK in the Cutoff, and raise to $15. Five players see the Flop of 6h 5d 2c. It checks to me, and I bet $50. Only one player called. Turn [6h 5d 2c] Th. He checked. I bet $80, and he folded.

I limp in Mid with 98o. As it turns out, it's a Straddle pot by a very tight player who's on Super Tilt, so I call the extra $5. Naturally, he goes All-In for $65. I call the extra $55 hoping that other will do so, but nobody does. He went All-In with Q6o, and hit his 6.

I limp in Mid with TT. The SB (50's Guy same one who flopped the Straight against my Two Pair) raised to $20. Four players see the Flop of Q Q 5. It checked to me, and I bet $50. Only the SB called. Turn [Q Q 5] Q. SB bets $75. I think about it for a bit, and reluctantly call. River [Q Q 5 Q] 7. He checked, and so did I. He shows AA, and I'm mad at myself for calling the $75.

I pull the last $100 out of my pocket, and add it to my stack.

4:30 $334 - There has been a lot of turnover at this table. Both of the Action Guys are gone. One left with $1200+, and the other went busto. Only two others of the original players are still here. I really didn't play any pots. I'm just sitting back trying to be patient, and watching the new players.

5:00 $809 - I win a sweet pot with AK that will be a future Hand Of The Day. A few hands later, I limp in Mid with J9s. Five players see the Flop of 9c 9d 2d. I'm not sure why, but I checked, and so did everyone else. Turn [9c 9d 2d] 6d. I happily check again. The Hyjack bet $15, and I'm the only caller. River [9c 9d 2d 6d] Jc. I lead out for $25 with my Full House. Hyjack raised to $65. Since I have the 2nd Nuts, I 3-Bet to $175. He thinks for a moment, and calls in disgust. I show my Boat, and he shows 2 2 for a smaller Boat. Nasty.

I raised in the Cutoff with AK. I airballed the Flop, but I called a bet from the Button. I hit my A on the Turn, but the Button flopped Top Set (TT). I lost $100 on the River.

5:40 $980 - I raised with KK, and got five callers. The Flop was 7 7 7, and I won a decent pot against 55.

I was planning on leave around 6pm, so I cashed out with some profit, and headed home. $180 isn't what I was hoping for by playing $2/$5. But considering the hole I dug for myself, and my pathetic history at $2/$5, I'm happy to take any profit.

No comments: