Followers

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

8-Game

Those who play Online poker probably know about PokerStars 8-Game mix. It consists of Limit 2-7 Triple Draw, HORSE (Limit Hold'em, Limit Omaha-8, Razz, 7-Card Stud, Stud-8), No Limit Hold'em, and Pot Limit Omaha. They introduced it about two years ago, and it has become the main mixed game on the site. This year Full Tilt copied it by creating a 7-Game mix. It has the same games, but without 2-7 Triple Draw since Full Tilt doesn't offer it yet.

Recently, the 8-Game mix has started to be played at my Saturday night home game, in addition to the standard $1/$1 NLHE. The structure of the NLHE and PLO is $1/$1 with $150 max buy-in. The Limit rounds are $3/$6. The SB is $1. The ante is $.50, and the Bring-In is $1.

8-Game has quickly replaced the previous mix of NLHE, PLO, & NL Crazy Pineapple. The 8-Game is starting to draw some of the NL players who are a little bored with TV Poker (NLHE) and want to try something else.

On the surface, the 8-Game would be a good thing for me. I enjoy playing the mixed games, and I know how to play all of them. But I don't think this game is +EV for me unless there are some players who are just trying it out.

In our group of home players, I would consider myself one of the Top 5 Mixed Game players. But if I'm playing against the other four players, then I'm at a disadvantage. Yes, I do know how to play all the games, and I think I understand the basic fundamentals of each game. But there's a difference in knowing the basics, and having actual experience. I really don't play the Stud games except the occasional mixed game in this group. I am learning 2-7 Triple Draw, but other players know it better than I do. And my Limit Hold'em game really needs some work.

I would rather do some "game selection", and just play TV Poker where I know I have an advantage. Last week, I did this because I saw no soft spots at the 8-Game table, but there were a few at the NL table. And, as you can see, it was a wise decision.

This week, the tournament finished early due to the low turnout. And since I had an extra $200 in my pocket from finished 2nd, I sat down at the 8-Game table. I ended up playing for three hours, which was my longest session of this mix so far.

I bought in for $100, and got off to a good start in the Limit Omaha-8 round. I end up either winning half or scooping most of the pots. I had about $160 at that point. For the next few rounds, I just maintained my stack around $150. This table played rather loose passive, with few raises preflop or on 3rd street. Also, many of the hands are still multi-way going to the Turn or 5th street. So I tried to play "quality starting hands" and not chase too much.

In the PLO round, I attempted a semi-bluff in the SB with a check-raise to $50 on the Flop (As Kc 8c) with just top pair and Nut Flush draw. Unfortunately, I ran into the only hand that could raise me, a set of K that also checked to the preflop raiser. He thought for a while, and raised me to $150. I quickly ejected, and called myself a donkey for trying to bluff in PLO.

That left my stack at $85. And, as always seems to be the case, the Poker Gods punished me. I went ridiculously card dead for the rest of the night. The one Razz that I got involved with started out with 7 up and A 3 down. Next card was a 5. 5th street was Q. 6th was paired my 3, and 7th was a third 3 giving me a Q low. Surprisingly, it didn't win.

The final hand of the night, I got dealt arguably my best Stud hand of the session, Qs Js Ts (Hello, 3-Card Poker). The next two cards were 2h and 5d, so I had to fold.

I ended the night with just $14 in front of me, for a loss of $86. Granted, $50 of that came from a badly timed bluff. And I still walked out to my car with about $100 more than I walked in with, thanks to the tournament.

I think I will still use some "game selection" in future weeks, and play the 8-Game occasionally. I'm sure that with more experience in some of the games, I will eventually become more than just an average player at that table.

No comments: