Followers

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Hate Silver

I played in a home tournament on Sunday. It was a small game with just two tables. There were only 10k in chips. The level were 20 minutes, but the blinds moved very slow with extra levels added like 125/250. So it played like a deep stack structure.

An important factor of this game is that I didn't have to TD this tournament. I was able to actually focus on poker, instead of running around doing five different things. Another factor is that I doubled up about an hour into the tourney with the nut flush against a smaller flush that we both flopped.

Since I was just able to focus on the table, and had some chips to play with, I actually tried to play some poker, instead of just 'folding to the Final Table'. And I have to admit, I played some damn good poker. I was shifting gears, and doing some actual bluffing.

I did a squeeze play when the blinds were 250/500 with pocket 7s in the SB, making it 2500 to go with a few limpers already in. But a young lady, who limped in middle position, shoved all-in. There was more than enough money in the pot to give me great odds for a coin flip, but it would have hurt my stack too much to lose, so I folded. She showed AK.

Later, I did a Stop-N-Go with 3 3 UTG. I limped in. The next player, who was playing very tight, raised it up, and I was the only caller. The flop came A high. I lead out for 5000, which basically put him all-in. He thought for a bit, and then folded. I showed my 3 3, no set. He said he had J J.

My only 'lucky' hand of the night was against the same player. It was blind vs blind. I limped with Ac 5c. He shoved for about 6 Big Blinds (sorry, I don't remember the exact numbers). Even though I had enough chips to gamble, this was a real loose call. He turns over Ah Jh. The flop was sweet, a club draw with a gutshot. He Turned his J, and I Rivered my flush. He wasn't happy.

I made it to the Final Table with an average stack of about 20k. The Blinds were 600/1200. I kept winning small pots, and chipping up. The only all-in was at the 1k/2k level. The chip leader, whom I've never played with, was on the other side of the table, and raised it to 8k. It folds to me. I'm the SB, and look at AK, so I decide to shove for 22k more. He folded.

By the time we get to the Bubble (4 got paid), I'm the chip leader with almost 70k, but the new guy is right behind me. The Bubble finally pops, and the new guy ends up knocking out the 4th and 3rd place players. It's early in the 2k/4k level, and he got roughly a 3-2 chip lead. The new guy seems fairly tight and solid. I haven't notice that he was making any moves, or any obvious attempts to steal the blinds.

The Heads-Up match didn't start well. I actually was catching some cards. I had flopped trips twice. First I checked to the River, and he folded. Second, I bet on the Flop, and he folded. I had AK, and hit my K, I had QQ once, and JJ twice. The only chips I won with those hands was a double up with one of the JJ. He hit middle pair, and figured I was short stacked enough that he had to call.

After getting back to where I started with the double up, the frustration continued. I know I can out play this guy, but the cards were just not cooperating. Finally, with the last hand of 2500/5K. I make my standard Button raise to 12500 with K 9. He called, and the Flop was 10 9 5. He checked, and I shoved for 38k. He thought for a bit and reluctantly called with K Q, gutshot and two overs. I think this is a terrible call, but I'm thrilled with it, since his K is dead.

Of course, the Q hits the Turn, and the River is a brick. Game over.

I think I prefer to Bubble rather than finishing second. Yes, it is nice to get paid, and second does pay well. But one of the reasons I like tournaments is that somebody wins, and everyone else loses. And to get that close to it, and then BAM! a three-outer says, "Nope, not today, Loser!"

No comments: