Followers

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hand Of The Day #83

Peppermill ~ 09.03.11 ~ $130 HORSE Tournament Lv 1 (50/100 H)

I arrived at the table a few minutes late, and they are in the Hold'em rotation. It's my very first hand, and it folds around to me. I'm the Button with 9c 8d, and decide to just limp (50). The SB folds, and BB checks their option. Flop 9s 7h 4d. BB bet (50), and I decide to raise (100) with my Top Pair. He calls.

Turn [9s 7h 4d] 5h. Once again, he bets (100). I'm thinking that he's got better than One Pair, so I just call.

River [9s 7h 4d 5h] 8c. He bets (100). That's an interesting card. I now have Top Two Pair, but any 6 is a Straight. I already think he has better then One Pair, so I'm beating Two Pair, but I'm losing to a Set or Straight.

I decide to raise (200), and he 3-Bets (300). Ok, now he's probably got a Straight, and I should fold as I got the info I wanted. But this is my first hand, and I guess it's possible that he could be getting stuborn with 75o or some other Two Pair. Plus, it's Level 1 of a tournament. We started with 6k chips, so another 100 doesn't mean much.

I call, and he shows 86h for a Straight. He bet his Open-Ender on the Flop, and hit it on the Turn. Naturally, I had to hit my Top Two Pair on the River.

Yeah, it's been that kind of a summer for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg, I have been reading you blog a lot, as I travel to Reno twice a year, for a week each time. I stay and play at the Atlantis.

Reading this post I have to wonder...why not just lay down the 8,9 off? It seems to me, as a person that reads your posts often, that a lot of hands that have been causing trouble to you are: "so I raised my J 8 off", or "I re-raised with my 4 5 suited". From a fan of your blog, and a poker player (not a great player, but pretty solid), maybe you should stick to playing premium hands until you get you confidence and "feel" back.

I'll be at the Atlantis from the 10th through 16th...maybe I'll bump into you.

Please take this as friendly advice/criticism...and hang in there!

GregDude said...

First, thank you for posting. It's good to get some feedback from readers, either positive or negative.

The reason for playing the 98o was because I was on the Button of Limit Hold'em, and it was the first level of the tournament. I'm not sure what type of poker you play, (NL or Limit, Cash or Tourneys), but in a Limit tournament where you start with 6000 chips, the 50/100 level is meaningless, as we have 60 Big Bets. You're not gonna win a lot or loose a lot.

If this were later in the tourney, I wouldn't have limped, and I might have raised, depending on my stack and who was in the Blinds.

"Running Bad" shouldn't affect how someone plays your game. "Running Bad" is how you've done in the past, and has nothing to do with your next hand, or your next tournament.

Sure it can affect us, and it has certainly gotten under my skin in the last few weeks. But the trick is to play though it without changing your game based on what happened in the past. You never know when the Cold Streak will sudden become a Heater.

GregDude said...

As for the Atlantis, feel free to look me up. You can contact me through this blog. I should be there on Saturday night playing at the $1/$2 PLO-8 table.

Just look for the suntanned guy with the Cleveland Indians chips who is sitting there folding.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply. I mostly like to play Hold 'Em Tourneys, but usually play the 3/6 Limit game at the Atlantis when there (when I am not playing Blackjack). I missed the "button" portion of the original post, and would agree that it changes the play a bit. I like you thoughts on not changing your play based on how you are running, when I sit back and think about it I may be guilty of this...
I will look for you Saturday just to say hi, but I have to warn you that I grew up in Toledo, and it's closer to Detroit than Cleveland, so it makes me a Tigers fan. (but I am a Browns fan as far as football goes, so that may even it up a bit)!