Followers

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Hand Of The Day #97

$1/$2 NLHE ~ Peppermill ~ 07.18.12

So far, a typical Wednesday afternoon table in Reno. UTG limps. I'm next, and limp with 32s. I've been mixing my limps with my $5 raises. Now, I'm just hoping to hit a Bonus Hand. (Yes, I'm playing Bingo with this hand.)

Five players see a Flop of Ks Qc 6s. BB bet $8. I call with my mini Flush Draw. Button raises to $15, but has to make $16. He's a 70's Asian gentleman. I could say that he's a Super-Nit, but that's probably redundant. BB calls, and so do I.

Turn [Ks Qc 6s] 4d. BB checks. I bet $10 with my Flush Draw and Gutshot. This is what they call a Post Oak Bluff, or a Donk Bet. Naturally, I don't think anyone will fold to a $10 bet. Actually, I'm expecting to get raised by the Button.

So why do it?

Because Super-Nits tend to min-raise a bet, rather than shove All-In. I expect him to raise in the $20 - $30 range. If I just checked to him, he could easily bet $50 or more, as I'm sure he's scared of the Flush Draw.

I did this move one time in a donkament, and it worked beautifully. I was out of position to a Super-Nit, and I flopped a big Draw (I think it was a Pair + Open-Ender). I bet really small on the Flop, and he min-raised me. I ended up winning the pot with Two Pair, and he was not amused. I've been trying to work this move into my game, and this seems like the perfect spot for it.

Anyway, back to the action. As expected, the Button raised to $30. However, the BB insta-called, and I was a little surprised just how fast he called. I'm a little concerned that my Flush Draw might not be any good, as the BB could have something like JTs, ATs, or Q7s. Of course, I still call the extra $20, as that was the point of betting $10.

River [Ks Qc 6s 4d] 8s. BB checks, which should mean that he doesn't have a Flush. Obviously, I'm gonna bet, but the question is How Much? The Flush is the obvious draw, and a scare card for the other players. I would have preferred to hit my Gutshot, so I could make a much bigger bet ($50 or more). It could easily look like I missed my Flush Draw (which is true), and they would be much more likely to call.

I decide on a $30 bet, as that's what they both put into the pot on the Turn. Both player thought for a bit. They also bitched, whined, and moaned before calling. BB has Kc Qs for Top Two Pair. Button has Qh Qd for a Set.

The Button was rather upset with his bad luck, but this had nothing to do with luck. In two other hands during this session, he limped with Big Pairs and lost. Once was with KK vs me holding a Baby Ace in the SB. There was no way I would have called a preflop raise from him, even a small one. In the other hand, he limped with QQ, and called a $5 preflop raise from another player, and lost to that player. (Don't remember the exact hand.)

1 comment:

lightning36 said...

Button should be shot for playing the hand the way he did. Maybe just a few hours of torture for the BB.