Followers

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Working In The Rock Garden

1:20 - I arrive at the Peppermill on Sunday afternoon as they are opening up their second table. Unfortunately, that table is full, and I'm first on the list after two phone-ins.

1:30 $300 - They call me and one other player, and we both get seated at the new table. How are there two open seats a table that's been running for ten minutes?

I'm the youngest player at this table by at least ten years. Two of the players are waiting to get on the $2/$3 ($5 to go) table. Since it's a new table, nobody has over $300. Most players are in the $150 - $200 range.

2:00 $353 - As expected, this is a Super-Nit table. I've already seen a guy call a small preflop raise, call a Flop & Turn bet on a Q-high board, and check the River with KK. After all, you can't be too careful.

So far it's been all small-pot poker for me, and that's how it will be with this line-up. The only way I will win a big pot is to cooler someone; like Two Pair vs Top Pair, Set vs Overpair, or Full House vs Nut Flush. I need to be careful not to get over aggressive, and be selective about picking my spots. Super-Nits love to slowplay, and don't play hands properly, like the KK I already mentioned.

There was one interesting spot. One player limped from UTG+1. The SB raised to $33 (not a typo). He's a dealer from another room, and a World Class Super-Nit. I'm the BB with Jc Js. I immediately check out his stack, and it was about $50 in chips along with two $100 bills. He's already raised a couple of times to $13, once with JJ. I think calling would be the worst option here, as the only Flop I would be comfortable with would have a Jack on it. It's hard to believe that he would do this with TT, or even AK. So after thinking for a few moments, I mucked. There's no reason to get into a big pot with just JJ when I'm likely dominated, and $250 is way too much for possible a coin flip.

2:30 $422 - Still the same line-up, and still small-pot poker for me. I haven't had any annoying hands yet, and I did pull off one bluff. I limped on the Button with 84d. The BB raised to $12, and one other player called besides me. Flop Kc 6d 3s. They checked, and I made a $15 stab. The BB folded, and the other player reluctantly called. Turn [Kc 6d 3s] 3d, giving me a Flush Draw. He checked, I bet $20, and he mucked.

3:00 $426 - I'm not the youngest anymore, as a 30's gentleman sat down. So far, he's playing less hands than the 60's Super-Nits.

I had my first annoying hand. One player limped, and I raised to $7 from the Cutoff with As Ad. Both blinds and the limper called. Flop Tc Ts 2h. SB bet $15. He a 70's gentleman who's sitting one his Rascal rather than a chair. I was the only caller, and the Turn was [Tc Ts 2h] 5h. He bet $55, and I quickly muck.

In another hand, I limped on the Button with 72d. Four players saw a Flop of Kc 9s 7s. It checked to me, I bet $5 with Bottom Pair, and everyone called. Turn [Kc 9s 7s] 3h. Everyone checked, including me. River [Kc 9s 7s 3h] Kd. Everyone checked to me, and I bet $15. I know that nobody has a King, and I'm trying to get a 9 to fold. The Blinds folded, but UTG called. I said, "Good Call," and he showed As Th for no pair. Sweet!

3:30 $398 - A couple of limpers, and the Button raised to $12. (He's the $33 guy from earlier). I'm the SB with 2d 2h. I think for a moment before folding. Three players see a Flop of As Tc 2s. The Button bet $45 and all folded. Drat!

Next hand, I raised to $7 with A8c, and three players called. A Mid player bet $15 on all three streets with the board being Ah Kd 4h 7c Qs. I ended up calling all three streets, although I really wanted to fold the River. He had Ad Jc. I wonder if I made it $50 in the River, would he have folded?

In the last hand, I raised to $5 from the Cutoff with As Th. Four players saw a Flop of Ad Ts 4h. I bet $11 and got one caller. I bet $15 on the Turn, and he called. I bet $20 on the River, but he folded.

4:00 $390 - Quiet time for me as I have no hands to share. There are two new players. The first is another 60's gentleman who's playing like everyone else. The second just sat down, and might have some potential to juice up this table. He a 30's guy who has a big tattoo that covers his arm. He sat down with headphones on, and shades on his ball cap. However, he also arrived with just $100, so he may be another Nit.

4:30 $395 - Here's my excitement for the half hour... I raised to $5 from Mid with A7c. The Cutoff and Button call, but both blinds fold. Flop is Kc 8s 6c. I bet $11 with my Flush Draw, and they fold.

This is getting really boring, as there isn't even any table talk to keep me interested. So far, I'm doing a very good job of staying patient, and playing position. I learned last year that I suck at being "Wild & Crazy Action Guy". Last year, I tried to make things happen by playing too much Bingo, and floating way more than I should. I'm much better at playing Sniper Aggressive, and patiently waiting for spots. I also know that those opportunities may not come, and I'm ok with that. This isn't a tournament, and I don't need to steal the blinds.

5:00 $398 - Here is one of those opportunities I was talking about. The SB raised to $7, and he's new to the table. However, I've played in donkaments with him, and he's on the tight side. I call the extra $5 from the BB with 9h 7s. Three players see the Flop of Kh 3d 3s. SB bet $7, which screams "Weak!" I called to float, and fortunately the other player folded. Turn [Kh 3d 3s] Ac. Not a great card for me, as the SB could easily have an Ace. However, he checked, I bet $15, and he couldn't fold fast enough. That's getting maximum value from 9-high.

Other than that hand, I raised to $5 a few times with hands ranging from KQo to 75s. I airballed the board in most of those hands, and folded to a bet.

5:30 $295 - Remember earlier when I said that a big pot on this table would need to be something like a Set vs Overpair? Well, it happened in my last orbit, but I was on the wrong end of it. I just called him down, so I didn't lose a lot, but it wiped out all my profit for the session.

Overall, I'm happy with my play today. The only real mistake I made was with A8c vs Ad Jc. I should have folded to the River bet, as he would never bet with a worse Ace than mine. I know it was only $15, but that would have been profit for my session. Plus, the small amounts add up over time.

In the 2d 2h hand, I know I would have hit a Set and won a nice pot, but I think folding is the right play. Past experience has taught me that set-mining out of position is not profitable. You don't hit Sets very often, and it's harder to get paid off when you're out of position. If you try to check-raise, then they may also check after you. If you lead out, then they might fold.

2 comments:

Team MiRketti said...

I like your stories better when you win, SO, make sure you win every time.

Team MiRketti said...

Lot's of good pointers in this content. Super tight nits are tough to play. I usually pick try to find spots to bluff them. When you play those types of player's it's better not to look at your cards, the cards will just get you in trouble.