Followers

Monday, March 3, 2014

Hand Of The Day #102


Golden Nugget $140: Level 1 (25/50) ~ 03.02.14

Since it's Level 1, we aren't at a full table, and the action has been ultra-passive. I min raised (100) from UTG+1 with KJs. Four players see the Flop Kh 8s 5s. Pretty good flop with Top Pair + Flush Draw. I bet 225. Button (60's Lady) raises to 500. SB (70's guy) cold calls.

So much for a passive table. I decide to 3-bet to 2000. I have a big hand, and I want to win a big pot. But I also want some more information. If the Button 4-Bets, then she's got a Set, and I can act accordingly. She ends up thinking for a bit before calling. SB calls quickly.

Turn [Kh 8s 5s] 3d. SB checks. OK, now it's time for me to think, and put these two on hands. The SB is the easy one, as the line of Check Call Call screams the Nut Flush Draw. Of course, he could just be a calling station, but we'll assume the Nut Draw until something changes.

Remember, the Button is a 60's Lady, so a combo draw like 76s is not possible. 60's Ladies do not play draws aggressively, even the monster ones. She has a made hand, so let's start at the top with Sets. She didn't 4-Bet, so KK and 88 are doubtful. 55 is possible, as she might be afraid of me having KK or 88.

Two Pair is the most likely hand in this spot. Recreational players love playing suited face cards very cheaply, and my min-raise to 100 would be considered cheap. They really don't care about the kicker, after all they might hit a Flush. So hands like K8c or K5d are definitely in her range. AK is also a possibility, as she might raise because she's afraid of the Flush Draw.

So my Top Pair is behind the Button's range, and my K-high Flush Draw is behind the SB range. It looks like my very strong hand on the Flop has just three outs to win. I suppose I could start bombing the Turn and River, but that would mean turning Top Pair & Flush Draw into a bluff. That's just not part of my game, especially since I'm not 22 years old.

I check. The Button gets a surprised look on her face, and quickly taps the table.

River [Kh 8s 5s 3d] 9c. We all check. Button has K5c for a flopped Two Pair. I show my hand. SB said he had the Ace draw, but didn't show.

Sigh.

No comments: