Followers

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dave's Saturday Night

I belong to the Cleveland Poker Meetup Group (CPMG). It's a large group of people from the Cleveland area who get together to play cards at the homes of various players. All games are rake-free, and perfectly legal. We've even had cops play in some of our games.

Every Saturday night, I co-host a game at Dave W's home in Lorain (about 30 minutes West of Cleveland). We hold it in his basement, which is very large and open. We've got four tables, with room for more, if necessary.

My role in this partnership is Tournament Director, or Ringleader, as I call it.

The tournament is $20 for T5000, with a $10 AddOn/Rebuy for T3000. Fairly standard structure, 20 minute levels. Lately we've been averaging in the mid-20s for players, but have had as many as 40.

The Cash game after the tournament is $1/$1 NLHE ($20 min - $150 max). We usually get two tables running. The 2nd table sometimes is a mix of NLHE & PLO

This week I placed 3rd out of 23 in the tournament for $110. I was able to get a chip stack early, which is unusual for me. Since I'm the Ringleader running the show, I've got to handle the late buy-ins, the AddOns/Rebuys, and table balancing. It tends to be a bit of a distraction from my poker game.

The cash game was also good for me, thanks mostly to one mega-trainwreck. I had flopped an Open-Ended Straight Flush Draw vs Middle Set vs Overpair. All the money got in quickly, and I rivered the Straight to take down a pot of around $275. Pretty good size for a $1/$1 game.

Overall, I walked out of Dave's +$324. Sometimes these games seems like a job to me that I've got to do every Saturday night. It's really nice to get a paycheck for it.

No comments: