Followers

Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Ringleader

As I've mentioned before, I run a Saturday night tournament & cash game at Dave W's home in Lorain. My official title is 'Tournament Director', but I prefer 'Ringleader' because this place can be a circus.

Over the last few months, attendance has been between 15 and 35 players for the tournament, and a few extra show up for the cash game. Only a few players actually show up before the start time of 8pm. Last night, we started up with 10 players on two tables. Before the first hand was over, eight more players walked down the steps, so I opened up the third table. Players kept walking in over the next 30 minutes, and I ended up opening up the fourth table. The final player, #35, showed up about 9:15.

The tournament starts with 5000 chips & 20 minutes levels with a fairly standard structure starting at 25/50. I offer an Add-On of 3000 chips for $10 anytime up to the first break. They can use it as a rebuy, an add-on, or they can start out with 8000 chips. This has been a big success because it adds a bit of strategy to the tournament. Most players use it as an emergency rebuy. This means that after the late buy-ins have finally arrive, players start going busto and shouting, "Rebuy".

Between the late buy-ins and the rebuys, I don't get to play much poker before the first break. I don't stop the clock when I have to attend my TD duties. I don't feel it's fair to the other players. I even have a standing order to the players at my table; "Always fold me if I'm not here, even if I'm in the Blinds." It's not uncommon for me to miss an entire orbit during Level 1.

In addition, I also have to balance tables, break tables, color up chips during breaks, get up when someone yells 'Floor!', count the money, figure out payouts, and occasionally Bank for the cash game.

This happens every week. This week was even more hectic because 35 players showed up, instead of the 15 we had a few weeks ago.

Does it affect my play? Probably, but not much. I've adjusted. My basic strategy here is, "fold to the Final Table." That doesn't mean that I only play QQ or better. I just don't force the action, and I wait for my opportunities.

In the last seven tournament, I've made five Final Tables, with three cashes and two bubbles, including last night (6th place). When this 'job' started on September 6, I had the goal of make half of the Final Tables. So far I'm 7/15 with a win and three other cashes.

No comments: