Followers

Saturday, June 5, 2010

What I Hate About Tournaments

"Shuffle Up & Deal" 5000 - I'm at the Turning Stone $60 12pm tournament. Right now, we have 36 players on five tables. They allow late buy-ins for the first level. My table has seven players.

End of Level 1 (25/50) 7775 - Table has been playing a little loose, and I have been active. I won a decent pot with AK. Later, I raised to 300 with 9s 9c in the Hyjack after a few players limped in. Five players saw a Flop of Kc Jd Td. It checks around to me, and I bet 1100. A few players hesitate, but everyone folded. I happily show my hand.

Why did I show my hand? Because of all the table talk. Up to this point, the main topic has been all the suckouts that everyone has been enduring lately. "How do people play those crappy cards, and always hit." Don't players realize they are giving away a lot of free information about how they play when they bitch and moan like this?

I showed my 9s 9c because on a Kc Jd Td Flop, my bet was a bluff. And it was taken that way by the table. One dude said, "I thought you might be bluffing. If I came over the top for 3000, you would have folded." Well, yes, I would have folded. But you would never do that. You already told me that with all your bitching and whining.

Anyways, this was just priming the pump for later. I like this table.

Level 2 (50/100) 7050 - 41 total players for this tournament. I check my option in the BB with 64h. Five players see the Flop of Ac 4c 4s. I lead out for 325. I get one caller, a older lady in Mid position. Turn [Ac 4c 4s] 8c. Now that the Flush hit, I check, and so does she. River [Ac 4c 4s 8c] 6c. This give me the Full House, and puts the 4th Club out there. I bet 700, hoping she has a big Club. But she folded.

As I'm stacking the chips from this pot, they break our table. At the new table, I lose a pot with KJ (J on Flop) against a Rivered 2 Pair.

Level 3 (75/150) 11975 - Mid player raised to 500. I played with him yesterday in the Cash game, and he was tight. The Cutoff calls. I'm the Button, and look down at Jc Js. I pause for a moment, and decide to just call. Flop is 9d 4d 4h. Mid bets 800, and Cutoff folds. To me, this bets seems a little weak. It doesn't scream, "I have AA. Go away!" I just call. Turn [9d 4d 4h] 6h. Mid bets 1200. I call. River [9d 4d 4h 6h] 3c. Mid bets 2000. I really go into deep thought. Is he really "Emptying the Clip" with AK? If not, then I'm only beating TT. If I call, and lose, then I've only got around 2200 left. But the pot is over 7500, so I make the cryin' call. He says, "Good call," and shows AK. I show my JJ, and scoop a 10k pot.

Even though I won the maximum, I really played this hand badly. Sometimes, I can play way too passive, and that's what I did this time. I should have raise at some point in the hand. Making it 2000 on the Flop, instead of just calling the 800 probably would have ended the hand, and I wouldn't have had to risk more chips later in the hand.

Level 4 (100/200/25) 6650 - I limp UTG with 99. Button raises to 800. Only me and the Cutoff call. Flop Qd 7d 2c. I check, and so does the Cutoff. Button bets 1000. Once again, that seems really weak. I think for a bit, and decide to not make the same mistake I made in the JJ hand. I raise to 3125, which is all of his chips. The Cutoff folds. Button hesitates for a bit, and calls. I show my 99. He show his hand. I was right; he didn't like the Q on the Flop. He has TT, and I miss my two outer.

I'm sure I made a mistake in this hand, but I'm not sure what it was. Maybe it was just playing 99 UTG. Maybe it was trying to make a move and risking chips after I've gotten a big stack. Maybe it was not realizing there wasn't much Fold Equity after the Button put 1000 in the pot. Either way... Yuck!

Level 5 (200/400/50) 6975 - We are down to three tables. It folds to me on the Button, and I raise to 1100 with K3o. SB folds. BB, an older lady who just sat down after her table broke, says "This is the best hand I've seen in a while." She goes All-In for 2400 total. I hate it, but I gotta call the 1300 more, and hope my K is live. As it turns out, she has JTo, but a J on the River ships her the pot.

This left me short stack. I shipped it All-In twice, and won the Blinds and Antes.

Level 6 (300/600/75) 5900 - Basically blinded off. I did steal the Blinds and Antes once.

Break Time. We are down to two tables.

Level 7 (400/800/100) 7700 - I shoved once with AK, and nobody called. I also got a Walk in the BB with 84o. With the Blinds & Antes being this high, a Walk is awesome.

Most player are in "Push - N - Pray" mode, and I'm seeing some horrible play. Some players are still trying to limp in Early Position, and folding to a raise. Other are just Min raising when they are shortstacked. Others are giving me a walk with so much dead money in the pot.

Level 8 (600/1200/200) 0 - It folded to me on the Button, and I ship it All-In without looking at my hand. The SB folds. The BB, who just limped last hand with AA and got them cracked, says "I don't care," and shoves his chips All-In on Tilt. I asked him if he even looked. He said that he saw one, and turns over KTo. My blind shove ends up being with 54d, which ain't bad. But a K on the Flop seals the deal. He counts his stack, and he's got 300 more chips than I do.

I'm out in 14th place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice tournament summary. I liked your frank hand analysis of the JJ hand. This is one problem with Jacks in general. Sometimes playing the hand poorly works out for you. You won way more chips than had you played the hand "better".

Your mistake with 99 was thinking your opponent could fold anything that wasnt total air. With 2400 plus blinds/ante's and his 1k bet, he is getting over 2 to 1 on a call.

All-in-all I thought you played well. A couple cards fall different and you are at final table.

This was a meats approved tournament run.