Followers

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Call Me ... MacArthur

I decided to stay in town on my Off Day today, and get some stuff done. I also decided to make my return to the Nautica Charity Poker Festival in Cleveland. I haven't been there for almost a year.

Even though some of our Home game players practically live down there, I've never been a big fan of the place. All the dealers are volunteer, and some of them are dealing for the first time. They can't even follow the action, let alone enforce any rules or control the Pot. It not uncommon for many players to have their fingers in the Pot, either making change or gather up bets.

Since the Dealers aren't in control of the tables, cheating is also common down there. We've all seen Teams working together. Either Whiplashing an unsuspecting player, signaling to their partner, or squeezing out the other players and checking it down. Also, shorting pots is not unusual. I've seen players say $100, but only bet a stack of 16-18 Red chips. I've also seen a player bet $30 with a Black $100 chip, lose the pot, and then try to buy back his $100 chip with not enough Red chips.

Lately, I've heard that things have improved somewhat. Most notably, the $15/hr Time Fee has been replaced with a $6 max Rake. So today seemed like a good day to make my return to Nautica. Here is my Running Log of the session.

4:20 $200 - I arrived just before they opened at 4pm. This was the first time that I've been here this early, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Well, like most things involving Nautica, it was chaotic. There was a big line outside the entrance, and they started letting us in 10 players at a time. Since I got there just before 4pm, I was towards the back of the line. When I finally got inside, I put my name on the $1/$2 list. There were already two tables open, and it took about 15 minutes to get the 3rd opened.

I grabbed the 6 Seat, so I can help the Dealer with Pots, just in case they're a No0b. Fortunately, the volunteer Dealer seemed to have a clue.

5:00 $147 - So far, this has been a normal $1/$2 table. Nobody playing hyper-aggressive, and nobody donking off stacks of chips. There's been a decent amount of preflop raises between $10-$20. The Dealer is quite competent, and we're playing at a good pace.

The only hand I really played with limping and calling a raise with A6s in Mid position. Five players saw the Flop of 9s 7s 7c. It checked around. Turn was a Brick. The BB bet $30, and I was the only caller with my Flush Draw. I missed the River, and folded to the BB's bet.

5:30 $113 - Cards suck so far. It folded to me in Mid, so I raised to $7 with ATh. Only the Blinds call. Flop is 8d 5d 2s. SB bets $10, and I call. Turn is Kc. He bets $10, and I give up.

We got a new Dealer. He is experienced, and very efficient. He's even making change for $5 Red chips with money from the Rake.

6:00 $195 - I reloaded for $100 more. Here are my last 13 hands of the half hour:

J7o (Mid - Fold). Q4s (Fold). 74o (Fold). K8c (UTG - Fold. Everyone limped, and checked it down to River. I would have hit Flush). KTo (BB - Checked my option, and Airballed). 95o (SB - Folded to raise). A6o (Btn - Folded to raise). K4o (Fold). 52o (Fold). 76o (Mid - Limped, then Airballed). J5o (Fold). K2o (Fold). Q7o (UTG - Fold).

6:30 $372 - I finally won a pot! I limped in Mid with Q5c. Flopped Trip Q. Someone called my Flop bet, but folded to my Turn Bet. Very next hand, I raised to $7 with A9d. Three players see the Flop of A 9 6. I bet $15. One player called, but folded on the Turn.

Later, UTG raised to $6. Three players call. I'm the Button, and look at KK. I raise to $30. The BB, UTG, and Hyjack call. Flop is Ts 5s 2c. It checks around to me. I grab a stack of Red chips, and bet it for $80. BB folds. UTG thinks for a bit, and goes All-In for $44. Hyjack folds. UTG has QQ, and misses his two-outer.

7:00 $389 - Dealer changed again. This one isn't bad, but he looks like he is "Separated At Birth" from one of our former Home game players (Theo).

I limp on Button with 64o. I flopped a Gutshot. It checked around to me, and I bet my standard $11, and only get one caller. I hit my Gutshot, but he folded. My Table Image is really Tight now, so I think it's time to start raising more. Preflop has become a Mega-Limp-Fest with pots having 6-9 players each time.

7:30 $1129 - The preflop raising has gone well. I have won two of the pots on the River with a $35 stab while having not much. (Pair of 5 with 54o in one. The other was with QJ-high. The players folded each time.)

Later, I doubled up in a future Hand Of The Day, which includes a "Gift" of about $400.

8:00 $1209 - Another Dealer change, and she is a No0b. The table is helpful in keeping the action moving.

I hit a Small Blind Special with 52o. Flop was 5c 3s 2c. I lead out for $11 on the Flop, and only the "Gift" player called. He called a $20 Turn bet, but folded to the River bet when all the Draws missed.

Later, I hit a Set in the BB with 44, and won a nice pot. I also raised with Q8h UTG+2, and won the pot with Top Pair.

This is the most money I've ever had at a poker table. My old record for $1/$2 profit was $720.

8:20 $1176 - I stabbed at a pot with Middle Pair, but folded to a raise. I also called a Flop bet with a Broadway Draw, but missed.

I was planning on staying until 9pm. Right now, I'm up $876. Part of me really wants to go for the $1000 mark. But part of me is getting hungry. I'm at the 4 Hour mark, which is what I normally play. I decided to cashout, grab some Subway, and go home to type up this post.

A Blogger's work is never done.

1 comment:

diverjoules said...

Wow... Congrats Greg. Makes me wish I played down there.