Followers

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Winter Is A Good Time For A Heater

On Thursday night, I played in the Atlantis 6:30 $55 tournament with 19 players. I did a Heads-Up chop for $275 after the Dealer's tip. Also, today I played in the Harrah's 11am $35 tournament with 9 players. I did a Heads-Up chop for $110 after the Dealer's tip.

I say this rather nonchalantly because it really not a big deal. Not because it's only $295 profit between both tourneys, but because this is becoming rather common.

Since I've started playing in these daily tournaments, I played in 13 tournament, and I've cashed in seven of them. That includes four Heads-Up chops, a 3-way chop, a 2nd place, and a 6th place.

Most of the buy-ins and profits has been similar to those above. I have played in two $100+ tournaments, and cashed in both. One was on Christmas Eve, and the other was on New Year's Day. It was a 6:30pm $115 at the Peppermill with 34 players. I did a Heads-Up chop for $1000 after the Dealer Tip.

So am I just that much better than everyone else in these tourneys, or am I just on a Hot Streak? Well, the correct answer is "Yes".

Not only do these players not "Shift Gears" during the tournament, they don't even know what "Gears" are. The "Loose Cash Game Kids" never tighten up when the stacks get short. They still limp UTG with Suited Connectors when the Average Stack is just 10BB. Then they feel that they have to call the raise of the Super Nit who has only 5BB left in his stack.

Super Nits may be really annoying in the Cash games, but they are awesome to play with in these tourney, especially in the Mid and Late stages. They try to "Fold To The Money", and play their hands essentially face up. The only problem is that occasionally they will just call with Queens and hit a Set, or play their Top Pair (KJ) so tentatively that I think they don't have it.

But even when I make a mistake (and I have made a few), I've usually been able to recover from it. My Luck Factor is definitely on the Plus side right now, but I'm not getting hit in the face with the Deck. I'm either getting big hands at the right time or the players just decide to gift wrap their entire stack over to me in a spot they have no business doing it.

Here's an example of how I'm running right now. At the Atlantis tournament on Thursday, we were down to four players. Player 1, a shortstack, goes All-In. Player 2, the Chip Leader, folds. Player 3, also a shortstack, goes All-In in the SB. I'm the BB, and look down at 77. Since I'm 2nd in chips, this is an easy call. Player 1 has A9, and Player 2 has AQ. Sweet! The Door Card of the Flop is an Ace, but right behind it is a 7. I knock out both players. I'm now about even with the Chip Leader, so we chop.

I'm not getting a big ego over this run. I know how tournaments go, and I'm sure that I will soon go a month without cashing. I've been on both sides of it before, so I'm just gonna ride this pony 'til it drops.

The Peppermill is having a tournament series starting next weekend, and will have $170 NLHE tournaments on the next two Sundays. Hopefully, this good run will continue, and can actually make some real money in one of the tourneys.

No comments: