Followers

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hand Of The Day #65

Peppermill - 01.26.11 - Tournament Level 700/1500/200

The evening tournament is down to two tables, and my table is nutso. Players are overshoving All-In with a wide variety of hands, and getting called by a wider range of hands. I've been card dead, so I'm trying to stay patient while waiting for an opportunity.

In this hand, we are eight handed. In a rare occurrence, four players limped, and so did the SB. I'm the BB, and this was an opportunity that I'd been waiting for. I squeezed All-In for 13600. UTG (a 60's lady) insta-ships her stack of around 25k. (Crap! The first player is always the one you need to worry about when doing a Squeeze Play.) Everyone else folded.

I reluctantly show my hand, 32o (Yes, I did look before I shoved.) She proudly shows 33. Other players were not happy about this, and said they folded hands like 88 and KQ. Of course, I'm wondering why they just limped with those hands at this stage of the tournament, but I didn't say anything.

The Flop had a Pair on it, which was great for me. If the Board ends up with Two Pair, we will chop. I picked up a Gutshot on the Turn, but the River was of no help to me. I finished in 15th place out of 50 players.

Was it a mistake to do a Squeeze Play when the table was playing so loose and crazy? Maybe, but I only had 9BB left and the levels are just 15 minutes long. So picking up the extra 5BB + Antes was worth the risk. Folding my way to the Final Table with 16 players left was just not an option.

Hands like this are a great demonstration of the "quality" of the players in these daily tournaments. This is why these tournaments are profitable in the Long Term, but high-variance in the Short Term.

No comments: