Followers

Friday, June 3, 2011

Hand Of The Day #77

Peppermill - $1/$2 NLHE - 05.22.11

It's a limp pot, including me in the SB with 87c. Six players see a Flop of Jh Th 9d. The Good News is that I have a Straight. The Bad News is that it's the back end of the Straight, it's a very draw-heavy Flop, and I'm out of position. I lead out with a standard bet of $11, and three players call.

Turn [Jh Th 9d6s. Well, that's a brick, so I bet $25. Mid player raises to $50. He's a 70's guy in a Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda hat. So far, he's been playing like a 70's guy, which means tight and passive. It folds back to me, and I decide to call. He's not raising on a draw, and there are many hands that he might raise with that I can beat, and only two that I can't (KQ or Q8).

River [Jh Th 9d 6s] 3d. I check, and the old guy grabs a stack of Red chips to bet $100. My initial reaction to this bet is "Fuck Me!" I start going into deep thought, and even started thinking out loud.

Ultimately, when you get into a situation like this, you only need to ask yourself one question, "Would he make this bet with a hand that you can beat, or even the same hand?" If he has JT or TT or 87, would he bet $100 on the River? My experience with old geezers is that they only put big money into a pot with the Nuts. I have often seen old guys just call or even check behind with a K-high flush. After all, you can't be too careful.

If he bet $50, I would have snap-called. But I just can't see him betting $100 with anything other then KQ. So even though I'm getting pot odds of $100 to win $251 after the rake, I fold my hand face up. He shows AKh for the missed Royal Flush draw.

Just kidding. He had Ks Qd.

Nice Hand, Sir.

No comments: