Followers

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Good Thing About A Tournament Series Is...

there's always another tourney to sign-up for.

Since I busted out early from the $450 Main Event, I signed up the 4pm $130 Limit Omaha-8 tourney. And I already did one Running Log today, so why not do another one?

"Shuffle Up & Deal" - It looks like five tables for this one, but we are next to the $450 Main Event, so it's hard to say. The tables have ten stacks, and mine has nine players. I'm the youngest by 20+ years, and I recognize the two ladies on my direct Left from the $4/$8 games. I'm really glad they are at this table, because they love to call.

The levels are 20 minutes long, and we start with 6000 chips.

Level 1 (50/100) - The table is playing as you would expect, which is loose and passive. I'm playing tight because the early pots mean nothing in a Limit tournament. The only hand I played was raising (100) from the Cutoff with Ad Ks 9d 3h. A few players called, and the Flop was Jd Js 4c. There was a bet and a raise before it got to me, and I couldn't fold fast enough. I have 5800 chips. 

Level 2 (100/200) - The pace of play is insanely slow, as we saw just seven hands in 20 minutes. Reasons for this included no shuffler, dealing four cards, a Dealer change, and lots of players to the Flop. In the last hand of the level, I was the BB and eight players saw the Flop. Surprisingly, I didn't win.
I have 5700 chips.

Level 3 (150/300) - First hand of the level, I limped in SB with Kd 6s 6c 4d. I flopped the K-high Flush and Bottom Set (Qd Td 6d). In a Cash game, I may go for the check-raise. But chips are more valuable in a tournament, especially one that seems to have a quick structure like this one. I lead out, and everyone folded.

Later, I raised (300) with Ah Jc 4c 3h in the Hyjack. Five players saw a Flop of Tc 5s 2c. It checked to me, and I happily bet (150) with a J-high Flush Draw and Wheel Wrap. Three players called. Turn [Tc 5s 2c] Ks. I missed everything, but did pick up a Broadway Draw. I bet (300), and all three called. River [Tc 5s 2c Ks] 3c. Great card, as I hit the Wheel and Flush. Once again, I bet (300), and all three called. I got the Low, but someone else hit the K-high Flush.

I have 7650 chips.

Level 4 (200/400) - Once again in the SB, I limp with Th 4d 3c 2c. Flop Jc 6d 3h. All ck. Turn [Jc 6d 3h] As. I bet with the Nut Low and Gutshot, and three call. Rvr [Jc 6d 3h As] 4c. Terrible card as my Low is counterfeited but I do have Two Pair. I checked, and then make a crying call against the BB who had 9542 for the scoop.

I have 6450 chips.

Level 5 (300/600) -  I raised in Mid with Ad As Ks Ts. Two players called and the Flop was 9c 8c 5h. Terrible Flop, but I still bet. They both called, and shut down. One of them hit a Wheel on the River to scoop.

In the BB, I lead out with an Open-Ended Straight Draw on a Flop of Js Tc 4h. Four players called. Turn [Js Tc 4h] Ts. Everyone checked. River [Js Tc 4h Ts] 4d. I led out as a pure bluff since everything misses, but I got called by KK.

I have 4000 chips.

BREAK - There are still five tables with only a few open seats. They haven't announced the player total, but it should be in the low 50's

Level 6 (400/800) - In the very first hand back from Break, I'm in the SB with Ac Kh 4h 3c . Various players limped, and so did I. Flop Kc 8c 6h. This is a great Flop for me with Top Top, Nut Flush Draw, and 2nd Nut Low Draw. But I checked, with the intention of check-raising. I only have 5 Big Bets left, and I'm willing to get all of them in this pot. Well, there's a bet (400) and two callers. I check-raised (800), and the BB cold called. Two players called around to the Button, who tried to go All-In. He had too much, and just raised (1200). I quickly 4-Bet (1600), hoping to scare someone off. Naturally, everyone called, and the Button called his last 200.

Before the Turn was dealt, I bet (800) in the dark. It was [Kc 8c 6h] 5d, hitting my Low. Two players called. Once again, I bet (800) in the dark, and have 400 behind. The River [Kc 8c 6h 5d] Qc. They both called, and I simply turned over the A3c for Nut / 2nd Nut. All three players muck their hands, and I scoop a monster pot of 14200 which gets me back in this tourney.

That was the only pot I played, and I still have the 14200 chips.

Level 7 (600/1200) - A Stortstack raised, I called in the BB with a crappy hand, and airballed the Flop. My first limp of the day was in the Cutoff with Kd 9d 4s 2c. (Not sure why I limped.) Five players saw the Flop of 433, and everyone checked the Flop & Turn. River 4d. I bet, and everyone folded.

In the BB, I was dealt the power hand of Kd 2d 2s 2h. Five players saw the Flop Qc Jd 2c. I lead out (600) with my Quads Set, and a few players called. Turn [Qc Jd 2c] 9c. Yuck! It checked to the Button, who bet (1200). I reluctantly called, as did one other. River was [Qc Jd 2c 9c] 3s. Once again, we checked around to the Button, who said, "I missed." (Not sure what he missed). I won the High Pot with my Quads Set.

I have 16900 chips.

Level 8 (800/1600) - Good level for me as I started raising more preflop. I raised twice with A2XX with some suits and stuff. First one, I flopped Two Pair (AQ2), but a Q on the Turn ruined my fun. In the other one, I flopped a Pair + Nut Flush Draw. I hit the Nut Flush to eliminate a player. I think I won another small pot, but I can't remember it. I have 22500 chips.

BREAK - 50 players total for this one. We are down to three tables, and have eight players at mine. I believe we are the next table to break.

Level 9 (1k/2k) -  It's getting harder to do this Running Log. I'm playing more hands, trying to be aggressive because the Levels are so high. The problem is the 9-Card Bingo players are still playing 9-Card Bingo with just a couple of Big Bets left. I'm winning some of the pots, but I did lose half my stack when one of them called with nothing on the Flop, and hit a Backdoor Straight against my Two Pair and Broadway Draw.

At the end of the level, our table broke, and we have 18 played left.  I have 14500.

Level 10 (1500/3000) - A quieter level for me due to crappy starting hands, and two Shortstacks looking to get their chips in the middle. Also, one of the 9-Card Bingo players scooped a big pot with A3c for Nut / Nut. He's now playing most of the pots.

Biggest pot was me raising preflop, and flopping Top Pair, Nut Flush Draw, and a Gutshot. It ended up get capped (5-Bet) against someone with Top Two Pair and Nut Low. All my chips got in on the Turn, and I rivered a better Two Pair to chop the pot, and survive.

I have 16000 chips.

Level 11 (2k/4k) - Halfway through the level, we got to the Final Table. I still have 16k, or 4 Big bets. It looks like I'm around 7th place out of the ten players.

I raised (4k) with Ad 7d 5d 3s, and three player saw the Flop 5s 3d 2d. I bet (2k), and got a Shortstack All-In for 5k who had the Wheel. Turn [5s 3d 2d] 4c, which gave me the Wheel. I missed all my re-draws on the River. We chopped for a small profit.

I have 17500 chips.

Level 12 (3k/6k) - Here's an example of the quality of play at the Final Table. An 80's guy in Mid was the first limper with Jd 7d 6h 6s. He ended up winning the Hi Pot with a Flush. Fortunately, I was not involved.

It was a good level for me, as I won various small pots. The best hand was me raising preflop, and flopping the Nut Low Draw and a Pair of 6. I bet (3k), and got called by one of the 9-Card Bingo players. A 5 on the Turn gave me the Nut Low. I was All-In for 2500 on the River, and he called with A2 for Nut Low and he hit the 5 for a Pair. I got 3/4 of the pot with my Pair of 6.

I have 46000 chips

BREAK - 9 players left. The 7pm $130 NLHE started with three tables. I guess I'm not gonna make it to that one.

Level 13 (4k/8k) - Another wonderful level, as I continue to work my Final Table magic. I wish I could document all the hands, but it's too much work. I even knocked out that 9-Card Bingo player from the previous level.

This is the best example of how things are going. I raised twice in a row, and won both pots. In the next hand, I was dealt As 6d 6h 3h. I considered raising for the third hand in a row, but decided to be cautious and fold. The Flop was 6 2 2, which would have been Top Boat and Nut Low Draw.

I have 99k chips.

Level 14 (6k/12k) - This isn't Final Table magic. I'm in full-blown "God Mode" right now.

Two limpers, as well as the SB. I'm the BB with Qh Qs 4h 2s. I decided to raise (12k), and all three called. Flop Ah 9s 3s. SB went All-In for 5k. I made an isolation raise to 11k with my Q-Flush Draw and Nut Low Draw. The others folded, and the SB had A9 for Two Pair. The Turn was [Ah 9s 3s] 5h, which gave me the Low, and another Flush Draw. River was [Ah 9s 3s 5h] Jh to knock out the SB with my Backdoor Flush.

I have 141k of the 300k in play.

Level 15 (8k/16k) - Peppermill was paying six spots. Naturally, when we got down to seven players, the Bubble Save talk started. As I've mentioned, I don't do Bubble Saves anymore. But everyone else voted Yes, and I didn't stop them. I didn't want to start an argument, as I had my eyes on the big prize.

"God Mode" continued as I kept winning pots, and knocking out players. The best was the final hand of the level. We had five players left, and four of them were in it. I raised (16k) preflop with AK3X. The next player 3-Bet (24k), leaving 1k behind. The Button cold called. The BB went All-In for less. I put the 4th Bet (32k) out there to get the other player All-In, as well as start building another Side Pot with the Button. Flop was K 6 4, which was decent for me with Top Pair and 2nd Low Draw. I bet (8k), and Button called. I don't remember what the Turn was, but we both checked. The River was a 3s, and we both checked. The Button had the Nut Low (A2), and my Two Pair (K3) was good for the High as we knocked out both players.

I have 195k of the 300k chips in play.

Level 16 (10k/20k) - After the color up of the 1k chips, here are the chips counts. I have 195k. The Button from the previous hand (let's call him George) has 100k. The 3rd player, a lady named Barbara, has one Blue 5k chip. She lost 2k on the Color Up Race.

She was All-In in the SB. We just checked it down. Barbara "doubled up" to 10k by winning the High, and George won the Low. Next hand, Barbara called all of her 10k on the Button, so George and I checked it down again. This time he scooped with Trip Queens in his hand, as neither Barbara nor I could be a Pair of Queens.

At the start of Heads-Up, I had the chip advantage of 180k - 120k. I immediately started the chop talk. Even though I have the advantage, and am in "God Mode" tonight, there are only 30 Big Bets between us. We will probably be chopping most pots, but a bad River card or two will really screw me over. I want to lock up this win.

We talked for a bit, and he seemed like he wanted to play it out. I tried to explain to him that will be chopping most pots, and then threw out an offer that was more than fair. He finally accepted.

I walked out of the Peppermill about 10pm with $1530 after the Dealer's tip. However, I didn't walk out with one of these because they didn't make one for the Omaha tournament.


Cheap bastards.

1 comment: