Followers

Monday, January 16, 2012

Peppermill's $450 NLHE Tourney

The Peppermill is having a small tournament series this weekend. Due to some strange anomalies at work, I was able to get a Saturday off so I could play in the $450 Main Event. Here is a Running Log of the tournament.

"Shuffle Up & Deal" - There are six tables with nine stacks each. My table has seven players. I recognize a few other them. The most notable was one I played with at the WSOP-C Event. I'm really glad he's on my Right+1, because he's very active and loose. We're gonna call him Billy.

The levels are 30 minutes long, and we start with 12k chips. This is also a Re-Entry event through Level 6, which is the first time the 'Mill has tried this out.

Level 1 (25/50) - The cards were quiet for me at the table. Towards the end of the level, they opened up a 7th table, and I got moved to it. This sucked for me, because I really liked my table draw. Besides one of favorite players from Tahoe, there was a gentleman from Northern California who declared that he had about $10k on various NFL Playoff bets. I'm sure he would not play tight in a $450 tourney. I have 10825 chips.

Level 2 (50/100) - There are still seven tables, and we have nine players. The play has been relative calm, and so have my cards. I played a couple of small pots, but nothing worth typing up. I have 10650 chips.

Level 3 (75/150) - UTG raised to 500. I was the only caller in Mid with 86d. He checked in the dark, which seemed retarded to me. Since I don't have much equity with 8-high, I also checked in the dark to see a free Turn card. The Turn [Ac As 9h] 6c. He checked in the light this time. This seemed like a "Way Ahead, Way Behind" spot with just a Pair of 6, so I also checked. River [Ac As 9h 6c] Js. He bet 700. I hate that card, as I really can't beat anything, but I made the call just to see his cards. He said Straight, and showed KTs.

This level was more of the same dry cards for me. My best hand was 3-Betting with AQo after UTG+1 raised to 400, and two players called. My 3000 bet got everyone to fold.  I have 10200 chips.

BREAK - Still seven tables, but there are some empty seats. Seven of our original players are still here. There is one open seat, and a stack for someone who just re-entered.

Level 4 (100/200/25) - In an interesting twist of fate, the player who re-entered is Billy from my first table. However, he is sitting on my direct Left now. In his very first hand at the table, he raised to 450 from UTG. It folded to me in the BB, and I called with 7s 7c. I checked & called all three of his 500 chip bets. He had flopped Two Pair with T9o.

My cards still suck. I called two preflop raises with pocket pairs, and missed both Set draws. I then realized that I was down near 7k chips, so I stopped calling other players' raises. I have 6750 chips.

Level 5 (150/300/25) - Shortly after the level started, they broke our table. Billy kept following me, and is sitting on the other end of the table. Another player from my original table is also sitting at this table. He a regular tourney grinder named Alan. He has re-entered, and is sitting on my direct Right.

This table has be more of the same for me... Nothing!

The best example was me raising to 825 from UTG+1 with Ks Qh. Only the BB called, and he's a regular cash game player named Bo. While he was debating the call, he was playing with his cards. His bottom cards flashed, and I saw 6 spots on the card. The Flop was Th 6s 5s. He checked, and so did I. I know he has a Pair, and will call a bet. The Turn didn't help me, and we both checked. I airballed the Turn, he lead out for 1000, and I folded.

I have 4525 chips, and am patiently waiting to bust out.

Level 6 (200/400/50) - Billy busted out again, but I don't think he re-entered for a second time.

It was more of the same for me, and I only played one hand. Bo raised to 1200. Alan called. I'm the Button with Qc Ts, and that looked like AA to me today. I shipped it for 3575, fully expecting to get at least one caller. They both called, and the Flop is Qs 9h 3d. At least I finally hit a Flop. They both checked the Flop. One of them bet 4k on the Turn, and the other called. Alan went All-In on the River, and Bo folded. Alan won the Side Pot, and the Main Pot with 33 for a flopped Set. I walked away from the table finishing somewhere around 50th out of 74 entries.

Not a lot I could do differently in this tournament, as it seemed like one of those where I never really had a chance. My best hands were AQo twice and 77. I never hit a Set or higher.

I'm sure my cards will be much better for the next $45 tourney I play.

1 comment:

GregDude said...

Well, my cards were better for my next $45 tourney. It was the 11am Atlantis tourney on Monday. It had 44 players, and I took it down.

With three players left, I had the Tower Of Power working. The Blinds got extremely high, and I proposed a deal. I took a little off of 1st place, and the other two chopped the rest. I left the Poker Room with $485 after the Dealer's Tip.