Followers

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hand Of The Day #94

Peppermill 6:30 $55 Level 3 (100/200/25) ~ 03.25.12

Limp pot, including me with Q9o in the BB. Four players see a Flop of Ad Qs 4d. SB bet 400. He's a 40's guy I've never seen before, and has played very few hands so far. I call with 2nd Pair. The Cutoff also calls. He a 60's guy who looks like he was in ZZ Top, or he just climbed down from the mountain.

Turn [Ad Qs 4d] 9d. SB bet 400 again. Even though the Flush got there, I still called with Two Pair. The Cutoff also calls.

River [Ad Qs 4d 9d] 6d. SB bet 400 again. I don't call this time, as I raise to 1500. This is what they call a Bluff. I have no clue what the SB has, as his little bets could be anything. But if I just call the 400 again, then the Cutoff will probably call, and someone could win this with the 8d or 5d in their hand. By raising, those small Flush cards are much more likely to fold. And if someone pushes All-In, then I can make the easy fold.

The Cutoff folds. SB thinks for a bit, and raises to 3125. Crap. I realize that I don't know the suits of my cards, so I look back at my hand, Qd 9c, which means I have the 2nd Nuts.

There is a poker term the Internet Kids use called Polarized, which basically means that your bet / raise is made with either the Nuts or a Bluff. It puts your opponents into tough decisions, while keeping your decisions simple. However, when you raise with the 2nd Nuts, and get 3-Bet, the decision gets a little tougher. If I didn't have the Qd, then this would be a simple fold.

Naturally, he probably has the Kd in his hand. But could have something like Ac Jd or Ah Td, and think it's good? As I have said, it's early in this tournament, and I know nothing about this guy. If he's a new player, then it's possible that he thinks a smaller Flush is good.

After thinking for a bit, I call the extra 1625. This was partially due to the pot odds, as this pot has gotten rather large. Also, it's partially to punish myself for screwing up this hand so badly, and getting into this situation.

He shows KTd.

I hope y'all enjoyed this sample of me royally screwing up a hand, and it costing me 2725 chips on the River (rather than just calling the 400, which is what I should have done with the 2nd Nuts).

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Hate to see you get beat, but I do enjoy all of your posts.