Followers

Friday, April 6, 2012

April News & Notes

- I mentioned earlier that I've started playing some NL Cash games again. Last month, I played six sessions of $1/$2, (4-2, +$242, 9.5 hrs). It's certainly nothing to get excited about, but it's not bad either.

Overall, it was an OK month. I did good with the Daily Donkaments (10 tourneys, 5 cashes, 3 wins/chops), but I airballed the four larger buy-in tournaments that I played on Sundays. I only played two sessions of Omaha-8, one $4/$8 and one $10/$20, and those were a wash. The $4/$8 session went well. However, the $10/$20 got off to a good start, but I lost a few annoying pots, and then the table broke when I was down a little. The best part of last month was that I didn't play in the Pit.

- By moving out to Reno, I had to start over at work as a sub. The Post Office is a union shop, so everything is based on seniority. Even though I have been employed since 2004, I had to start at the bottom of the seniority list at my new office.

As a sub, I am working roughly 8am - around 6pm, six days a week. Days off (that aren't holidays or Sundays) are very rare. It took seven months for me to get my first one (Oct '10 - May '11), and my last day off was in early December.

The reason I'm writing about this is tomorrow I will become a real Mailman, which means my work schedule will drastically improve. I will be working about 40 - 45 hrs, with one day off each week. The day off rotates each week, like Monday this week, Tuesday next week, Wednesday the following week. My first day off as a real Mailman will be next Friday and Saturday, which means I have a 3-day weekend off.

I wonder what I will do with all that free time?

- Last year, I made a $200 baseball bet against the Cleveland Indians winning 71 games for the season. Well, they got off to 30-15 start, and had the best record in baseball at Mother's Day. However, for the rest of the year, they played down to their potential, and finished the season only winning 80 games.

This year, I made the same bet. I got them Under 78.5 wins at Even Money for $300. Some of the various experts around baseball think the Tribe has some potential this year to win around 85 games, and one of them even predicted them to beat the Tigers in the AL Central. I think this team is going nowhere fast. They do have a couple of good young players, but most of them have more potential than actual talent. Plus, no Cleveland sports team can ever stay healthy for an entire season, as we have already lost Grady Sizemore for half the year.

Another sports bet I'll be making this year is the Field for all four PGA Majors, including the Masters this weekend. It seems that a couple of nobodys seem to win a golf major each year. So at 7-1 odds, my $50 bet for each of the four majors seems more like an investment.

No comments: