Followers

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Lost Weekend? (Part 2)

Fri 18:30 ~ Grand Sierra $80 Bounty tourney - 18 players

Got off to an OK start with this one. Once again, I won some pots, and lost some pots. But then my cards went quiet, so I did a lot of folding. Plus, I was feeling rather blah, so that kept me from doing something stupid aggressive.

In Level 4 (500/1000/200), a couple of players limped. including me in the BB with QJo. Flop was AQQ, SB checked. I bet 2000. Another player called, but the SB check-raised to 7000. He's a regular around town, and is rather far on the tight side. I knew he has a Queen, so I shipped All-In. The other player folded, and the SB called with KQ. You gotta love it. I didn't catch up, and I'm out of the tourney in 16th place, which is odd that only one other player was eliminated in the first 75 minutes of the tourney.

I did bring $500 for the $1/$2 game. But as I already said, I didn't feel good. I'm not sure if it's from something I ate, or I just need a nap. Even though it was only 7:45pm, I decided to head home, and crash on the couch.

(-$80)

Sat 06:30 ~ Peppermill $1/$2

This table only had six players when I sat down. Two of them were 50's ladies who are on the passive side. Naturally, I sat down next to them with my $300 buy-in.

The play at this table was vastly different than yesterday. It was very passive and dead. I was only raising to $5 preflop, and won the blinds around 40% of the time. I even made some $5 straddles on the Button.

Unfortunately, they were hitting more hands than I was, and my stack was slowly dwindling, just like yesterday. I even pulled out my backup $200 to reload.

Also just like yesterday, we got shorthanded down to four players before the morning crew started wandering in.

There was only one big hand to mention. I flopped Top Two Pair with QJo, and the gentleman with AQ just couldn't fold. When I finally shoved All-In, he thought for what seemed like two minutes. He even called out my hand while he was thinking out loud, but he said he had too much money invested.

That hand got me back into the black. The rest of the session went alright, and I ended at 10:00 with $647.

(+$147)

13:00 ~ Peppermill $115 tournament - 15 players

We will pick up the action at the Final Table, mostly because I was rather card dead. We got there towards the end of the 300/600/75 level, and I had 7500 chips. By then next break before the 1500/3000/400 level, I had over 46k chips. It wasn't due to finally getting awesome cards. I won three straight coin flips: 88 vs JTo, J9d vs 44, and A3o vs KQc.

I was chip leader at this break with six players left. There was one player with just over 40k, and then there was everyone else.

First hand back from break, it folded to the SB, who shoved All-In against my BB. He's the guy with 40k chips, and he's a 60's guy who's been playing like a 60's guy. I look down at ATo, and go into deep thought. It seems really unlikely that a 60's guy would bluff here, but then why else would he go All-In for so much? If he had a monster, then why not make a small raise, or just limp to trap me like most 60 yr old players do? After thinking for close to a minute, I make the call, and he showed J8s. The Board ran out T98 6 Q, and he won with a Straight.

Next hand, it folded to me, and I shove for 5800 with A6o. The BB called the extra 2800 with KJ, and ended up with a Full House.

I went from chip leader to 6th place in two hands. That seems to be a common theme this weekend.

(-$115)


18:30 ~ GSR $80 Bounty - 19 players

The player who knocked me out of the $115 tourney is a regular named Barry, and he was at my starting table for this one. He said they played for a little bit longer before doing a 5-way chop. The 60's guy with the Tower Of Power volunteered to take $350, and the others would split the rest. I didn't look closely at the payouts before I left, but they were for three spots with around $670 for 1st. Sometimes, this town really drives me nuts.

Back to the action here. This tourney starts us with 20k chips and 20 min levels, but the blinds start at 100/200.

The first significant hand was in Level 3 (300/600/100). We were eight handed, and I raised to 1500 with 2c 2h. Barry was the only caller on the Button with AKs, and the Flop was Ad 7s 2d. You can figure out the rest of the action. This was Bounty #1 ($20).

Next big hand was in Level 5 (800/1600/300). Seven handed, and I raised to 3600 with JTd from UTG. It folded to BB who shipped it for 24k-ish. He a regular around town who plays rather spastic. He playing even weirder tonight than usual, and seems to be on a little tilt after losing half of his chips with a terrible play. His range is wide here, and I can afford the chips. He showed Kc Kh, and I flop a Flush for Bounty #2.

I then had a few annoying hands where I doubled up two players, one for 16k and the other for 12k. After that, I collected Bounty #3 when I called a 20k All-In with QQ. She had 22, and missed.

That got us to the Final Table, and I had 80k, which looked like I was the chip leader (again).

In the 1500/3000/500 level, we were down to nine players. I raised to 7500 from UTG with QQ. UTG+2 went All-In. SB went All-In. BB went All-In. I called for everything, and they showed 77, 99, AK respectively. The Flop was KQ4, and I collected Bounty #4, #5, and #6. Poker is a game of skill.

When we got to five handed in the 5k/10k/1500 level, the Button went All-In. I folded my SB, but the BB went into deep thought before calling with Q4d (no clue why). The Button had AJo, and won. The stacks were counted down, and the BB had one 500 chip left. Next hand, the first two players folded, much to my surprise. I called the 10k with 73o on the Button just because of the bounty. I flopped Two Pair to collect Bounty #7. I even got a 10k value bet from the BB on the Flop.

I now had the Tower Of Power, and everyone else was close to even. We just went from 3k/6k/1k to 5k/10k/1500, and the next level is 10k/20k/2k. I hate making a deal with four players, but this is getting silly, and I want to lock up my equity. I suggested we split the prizepool into five parts, with me getting two parts. Plus, we would get our bounty. But one of the players was concerned about getting points for some freeroll that GSR does, so he said No.

Two hands later, I knocked him out, KJ vs A6 for Bounty #8. Play continued for a few more hands, while I came up with a deal that the other two players liked.

I left the poker room with $360 plus 9 Bounties (out of 19 players)

Finally!!

(+$460)

Weekend Total (so far): +$392

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Good reading! I love that you've had time to play!

Patrick