Followers

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Horsing Around On My Off Day

"Shuffle Up & Deal" - $240 HORSE at Grand Sierra on Tuesday. We have 8k chips, and levels are 30 minutes. We play eight hands of each game.

It looks like just three tables set up for this one. Tables are eight handed, and my table has seven bodies. Naturally, I'm the youngest (41), and I recognize one of the players who's a regular tourney grinder around town.

Level 1 (75/150) - My table is now full, but a couple of empty seats at other tables. This table has been playing normal so far. My basic strategy is to play tight early, as these hand don't mean anything since we started with more than 50 Big Bets. That hasn't been a problem as my cards have sucked, and I've lost the few pots I played. I have 7175 chips, and we ended on Razz #4.

Level 2 (100/200) - Cards got a little better, as I won the last two Stud-8 hands. First one was with a Flush, and he folded to my River bet. Second hand was a scoop with a Pair of Aces and 75-Low against a Pair of Threes and a 76-Low. I have 7675 chips, and we ended on Stud-8 #5.

Level 3 (150/300) - I won a hand in Hold'em with A-high, but lost a bigger one with Top Pair against the BB's Two Pair. In O-8, I raised twice preflop and airballed both times. The second time was with AA42, but the Flop was KTT. I called someone's Flop bet, but folded on the Turn. I have 7050 chips, and we ended on Omaha-8 #3.

Level 4 (200/400) - Cards were quiet for me. In the Razz round, I was dealt a 3-Card Straight in back-to-back hands (8-high & J-high). In Stud, I completed with (98)7, and only the Bring-In called. I got [(98)7] T on 4th, but he folded to my bet. Darn.
I have 6600 chips, and we ended on Stud #5.

BREAK - 22 entrants for the one, with three getting paid. The 12n $240 NL is at the Final Table with 8 left. It had a 10k guarantee, but missed it by two players (48 total). Not sure why they would have a guarantee for a Tuesday afternoon tourney. Also the 7pm $145 Bounty just started. Looks like six tables for that one.

Level 5 (300/600) - In Stud-8, I completed one off the Steal spot with (T3)5. Both the Steal and the Bring-In called. It went to 7th Street with all three players, and I rivered a 7-high for the Low. The Bring-In had an 8-high Straight.

In Hold'em, I raised (600) with AQ from UTG+1, and only the BB called. Flop was AA8. I bet (300), and he thought for a while before calling. He also called the Turn and River, and was not happy.

Pots are starting to get meaningful, as we finally lost a player at this table. I have 9350 chips, and we ended on Hold'em #7

Level 6 (400/800) - Horrible level for me. The Razz was brutal, as I kept drawing terrible. Best example was completing with (53)A, and got one caller with an A showing. I proceeded to draw (53)A9J, and had to fold.

In the Stud hand, I ended up losing with hidden QQ versus hidden KK. I have 3525 chips, and we ended on Stud #1.

Level 7 (500/1000) - I completed (500) in Stud with (As 7d) 7s. The next player raised (1000) with a Queen showing. It folded around to me, and I went into deep thought. I have 2425 left, or almost 2.5 Big Bets. If I fold now, I will have to "ship it" in the next hand I play. I know I'm behind, as he probably has at least QQ. I do have an Ace, which means I have better Two Pair Draw. One of my weaknesses in HORSE is that I don't know Stud Math, so I don't know how far behind I am. Plus, this is the player who has had my number for most of this tourney, especially in the previous level when thing started to go bad.

I finally decided to make my stand here, and 3-Bet to 1500. He raised to 2000, and I capped it at 2500, leaving 425 behind. On 4th, I was dealt (As 7d) 7s 8h, and he was dealt a K. We got my last 425 into the pot, and he showed his hand (KK) Q K. Wonderful. I did pick a Flush Draw on 6th, but I bricked out, eliminating me in 18th place.

When I got home, I went to twodimes.net, and entered the hands. My As 7s 7h was a 42-58 'dog against Kd Kc Qc, and 44-56 'dog against Kh Qd Qc. Looking at those numbers, I'm defiantly happy about getting my chip All-In while I was just a coin flip.

I think I've already mentioned that I will be playing a $1500 HORSE event at the WSOP next month. So I played this one to get some practice, and I will be playing one on Saturday night at the 'Mill and another one in Vegas before the Event.

No comments: