Followers

Sunday, August 5, 2012

August News & Notes

- I finally tallied up the official total for my two weeks in Las Vegas, -$5493. Ouch!!

My sweet score at GSR made up for a big chuck of that hole, and I finished the months of June & July at -$523. Overall, not too shabby.

- I played the fewest tourney last month (14) that I have played this year. This is because I'm sick of the scourge of $45 donkaments in this town, and I'm not gonna support them with my money. I'm trying to play in buy-ins of $60 or higher, which drastically cuts down on the donkament options.

That means that I'm starting to play more cash games. Mostly $1/$2 with some $2/$3/$5 mixed in.  The $2/$3/$5 game has blinds of $2/$3, but it's $5 to call. It's Reno's version of $2/$5, and it's become a daily staple at the Peppermill.

- A few months ago, I mentioned that I made another sports bet involving the Cleveland Indians. I took the the Under on 78.5 wins for the season, which would be four games under .500

As of Saturday, they are 50-57. The have lost eight games in a row, including getting swept by the Kansas City Royals. The chances of cashing my $600 ticket in two months is looking good. They could always get their act together, and ruin it for me. But as a life-long Cleveland sports fan, I already know what to expect.

- The Peppermill has been trying to spread larger games on weekends. They hired a High-Limit Host named Jimmy to get players from California and Las Vegas to visit the Peppermill on weekends.

On their website, they have a list of the games, which normally includes $5/$10 NL, $30/$60 Limit, and $10/$20 Omaha-8. This week, I noticed that there is a $50/$100 Omaha-8 game scheduled for August 22 & 23. Some of the names on the List include Linda Johnson, Jan Fisher, and Mark Gregorich.

I have to admit that I am a little tempted to sign up for this game. I have never played in a big cash game, and that included the $5/$10 NL and the $30/$60 Limit games. It would be interesting to sit down, and see how I do against players who are way more experienced than me.

Don't get me wrong, I probably won't play. I would put it at 20% right now. I just lost $5500 in Vegas, and was quite fortunate to get most of it back so quickly. Putting up $3k to take a shot doesn't seem like the brightest thing to do.

Also, I kinda doubt this game will actually happen. It's not uncommon for the $5/$10 or the $30/$60 to not run, even though there is a large list for them. And the $10/$20 Omaha-8 game almost never goes anymore, and it only runs for a few hours when it does.

2 comments:

lightning36 said...

The good thing about poker is that there is always the opportunity to turn things around. Good luck!

Matt G said...

Being stuck that much is a good thing in the end. Now you know how it feels to get really stuck (by our lowly limit standards :) should it happen again, but you can shake it off knowing you plowed ahead and worked through it. Nice job sir.