Followers

Monday, September 3, 2012

September News & Notes

- My WSOP recovery has come to a grinding halt. August was a pretty bad month for me. Not only was it my first losing month at $1/$2 this year, but I also went 0-11 in tournaments.

Actually, I'm currently on a 0-13 streak for tourneys. My sweet score at GSR was the last time I cashed, and I've been paying for it ever since. I'm busting out early and not even  making it through half the field for all but one of the 13 tournaments. My best finish was 7th at a Peppermill donkament, which was the Bubble+1.

As I've said before, I don't like to use the term "Running Bad" because I think that most players use it as an excuse. However, sometimes it is true, and I'm deep in the middle of it.

I also hate Bad Beat Stories, but this hand is a good example of how things are going. I just played in the Peppermill's $180 NLHE tournament as part of their Deep Stack Classic series. I was rather card dead for most of the time I was there, and I lost the few hands I played.

It was Level 4 (100/200/25). UTG limped. Mid raised to 400. He's a 50's gentleman who's been raising a wide range of hands, but I don't think he's much of a player. I'm the Hijack, and 3-bet to 1025 with A9c. It folded around to the UTG who called, along with the Mid.

Flop 6c 5h 3c. UTG checked, but Mid bet 3100. I quickly shipped my remaining 3550 All-In with the Nut Flush Draw and Two Overcards. UTG then went All-In for almost 5000, and Mid called. UTG had 54c for the Open-Ended Straight Flush Draw and a Pair. Mid had K4h for the Open-Ender and Overcard. Turn was [6c 5h 3c] 2d, giving both of them a Straight. The River was [6c 5h 3c 2d] 7c, giving me the Nut Flush, but giving UTG the Straight Flush and the pot. I finished somewhere around 45th out of 53 players.

- September is Tournament Month in Reno. There are three different tournament series over then next six weeks. Peppermill's Deep Stack Classic just finished up. Atlantis' Western Poker Challenge starts in two weeks, and is a WPT Regional Event. GSR's Fall Pot Of Gold starts at the end of the month, and is part of the DeepStacks Poker Tour.

My next weekend off from work is Sept 14-16. That's the first weekend of the Atlantis' tournament series. I'm planning on grinding for those three days. Hopefully, I can pull out of this nosedive I've been in for the last two weeks. If not, I'll end up going to the ATM, and I really hate doing that.

- For those who haven't noticed, my profile picture at the top of the page is chip with Chief Wahoo, the mascot of the Cleveland Indians. I use that as my card protector when I play. I got it as a Christmas gift from Host Dave back in Ohio a few years ago.

I decided it was time it get another card protector, especially since football season is starting up. I looked on Ebay, and was surprised on how many different designs were out there. I ended up buying three new ones, one for each Cleveland team. I'll be using them around town, probably when the team is playing. Here is what they look like:



No comments: