Followers

Saturday, May 22, 2010

It's All About The Points, Baby

For my regular Saturday home game, we have a "season" which goes from Labor Day to Memorial Day. We take the summer off due to a lack of A/C in the basement. This is our third season that we've been running with this format.

This season, we decided to have a Player of the Year (POY) Points Race. Players earn points by cashing, $200 equals 200 points. They can also earn points for bubbling, usually an amount just under the buy-in. Bubbling in our standard $30 tournament would earn you 25 points.

In order to participate in the POY, you need to pay $1 at the Buy-In, and $2 for the $50 Deeper Stack Tournaments. Participation in the POY is optional.

At the end of the season, there will be a POY Main Event. Your points determines how many chips you start with. The points leader starts with 100000 chips, and it goes down proportionally. A player who just has one Bubble ends up with around 11000 chips.

The structure for the Main Event is super deep stacked. I estimate that there will be between 12-14 hours of play. It's a 2-Day event. Day 1 starts on this Saturday at 7pm, has 30 minute levels, and should end around 2am. Day 2 starts on this Sunday at 3pm, has 45 minute levels, and should end around 8-9pm.

The Main Event has a buy-in of $60. The money paid into the POY pool (POY$) will be paid out to the Top 3 spots of the Main Event. It will be distributed with a 60%, 30%, 10% payout. We ended up with $975 POY$, and will be paid out $590 for 1st, $290 for 2nd, and $95 for 3rd. This money is in addition to the normal payouts for a $60 tournament.

As I already mentioned, the Main Event is tonight. There are 58 players eligible to play. I expect there to be 35-40 players. Some players have rather small stacks, and feel they don't have a chance. A few others have had some Real Life issues pop up, and will be unable to make it.

As for me, in spite have having what I consider to be a crappy season, I've got 1300 points and 66300 chips. The chip leader, Colin, has 2080 points, and 100000 chips. I've got the 6th biggest stack, but someone above me might not make it.

Since I'm likely to be either the Big Stack at my starting table, or the 2nd Big Stack, I do have a starting strategy in mind. I'm not going to publish the details in this post, just in case someone reads it before tonight. But, as with all tournaments, it will all depend on my table draw. The 2-4 players on my Left will determine exactly how I play tonight. Factors include if they have a very big stack, if they a very small stack, and if they're on my list of players to never steal from because they will not fold to me.

I am hoping to do one of my running logs for this tournament. But since I'm the TD, that might not work out the way I want it to.

No comments: