Followers

Sunday, April 24, 2011

KK vs AA

As I've said before, I don't like the term "Running Bad" and I don't like to tell Bad Beat Stories. We all go through good times as well as bad streaks, and I give Bad Beats as well as get Bad Beats. It's part of the game that you need to get use to, and I think I have. As long as I'm not screwing up when the Luck is bad, then I know that I just need to be patient and grind it out.

Having said all that, it's been a bad two weeks. I have had one winning day during that time. It has been a strange journey of bizarre situations, ridiculous suck-outs, and sick coolers. I've even had my KK run into AA not once, not twice, but three times in 14 days. Normally, the ultimate cooler only happens to me like once in every nine to twelve months. So for this to happen three times in two weeks tells you exactly how things are going for me.

Here are the hands:

Sat 04/09 ~ Circus Circus ~ $2-$6 Spread Limit

I don't remember the specific amounts and details, but a Lady raised in Early Position. I 3-Bet with my KK in Late Position, and she just called. She bet the Flop, I raised, and she just called. On the Turn and River, she just checked and called my bet. I wasn't surprised that she had AA, but I was very grateful that she played them so passively.

Thur 04/21 ~ Eldorado ~ $65 Tournament Level 3 (100/200)

UTG raised to 600. He's a regular tourney grinder in Reno, and is on the nitty side. It folded to me in Mid position. I decide to just call with KK. I don't want to scare him off. If there were other callers or this was later in the tourney, then I would have 3-Bet. The only other caller was the SB.

Three players see a Flop of A T 8. They both check to me. Even though I hate the Ace, I fire out 1100. You would be surprised how many times that a bet will win me the pot in this situation. But the SB called, which I didn't like. The UTG also called, which set off a little warning light in my brain. I'm done with this hand, unless I improve.

Turn: [A T 8] K - They both checked to me. Well, my hand certainly improved, so I bet 1600. The SB called, but the UTG check-raised to 4000. That little warning light in my head just turned into a giant flashing neon sign. Unfortunately for me, I ignored that neon sign, and quickly shipped my chips into the middle. The SB folded A8 for Two Pair. The UTG called with his AA, and said this was a sick cooler. Naturally I bricked the River, and was left with 4700 or about half a starting stack.

It was a mistake for me to act quickly, but I'm not sure that I would have folded if I had thought it out. He couldn't have QJ for Broadway because he wouldn't have raised UTG nor he wouldn't have called the Flop with a Gutshot. AK is possible, but he probably would have bet the Flop rather than checking and over-calling. The most likely hand for him would be a Set, either AA or TT. Since I do beat one of those Sets, and I would still have over 20 BB left if I lose, I probably would have shipped it All-In.

The rest of the tournament went just as well as this hand, and I finished 11th out of 18.

Sat 04/23 ~ Peppermill ~ $6/$12 Limit

I'm UTG+1 and raise ($12) with KK. Two players called. The BB 3-Bet ($18). He's an older regular who's on the nitty side. I put out the 4th Bet ($24) to try to isolate with the BB. UTG+1 is the only one who sticks around. The BB then capped the betting ($30). At this point, I'm fairly positive that he has AA. If this was a NL game, I would fold. But in Limit Hold'em, you just don't fold KK preflop. I call, and so does UTG+1. The Flop was Q-high. The BB bet all three streets. I just called, and so did UTG+1 with AQ. Naturally, the BB had the AA, and I showed the KK.

It's frustrating, but I think I played it properly. In Limit Hold'em, you try to limit the amount you lose, and maximize the amount you win. By not raising on the Flop, Turn, or River, I did some damage control when I thought I was behind. After all, he could have also had KK.

No comments: