Followers

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hand of the Day #2

I'm putting this in the "How Would You Play It?" format. I'm not sure I did the right thing in this hand, so feel free to leave some feedback.

$1/$2 NLHE at Motor City 10.28.09

UTG +1 & +2 limp in. Old Geezer in Hijack raises to $12. He's been here for a few hours chasing the BBJ, and has played few hands. When he does raise preflop, it's always been to $5, and he always plays passive after the Flop. This is the first time he has raised bigger. I think he's serious, and has a big pair: AA, KK, or maybe QQ. He's got about $250 total.

Button calls the $12. You're the BB, and look down at QQ. You've got around $200 total.

Your Turn.



While I think all 3 options (Call, Raise, Fold) are plausible, I think Call is the worst. It allows the hand to become a multi-way pot, without any more information about the Geezer's cards, other than my read of "Big Pair". That essentially turns my hand into a set mine. With JJ or lower, this might be acceptable, but QQ is just to strong just call and hope to hit a two-outer.

I could just Fold based on my read, but it's only $12 which is a standard $1/$2 preflop raise. If someone else raised, and the Geezer made it $40, then Fold would seem prudent. But folding to just a standard raise just seems to tight, even for me.

So that leaves Raise. I don't want to blow up the pot, and commit myself. It would seem to make more sense to do a smaller raise, and hopefully isolate with Geezer. If he calls, then I may be good, or we're flipping with AK. If he re-raises, then I'll know to eject.

I choose Raise, and make it $30. Both UTG +1 & +2 call, which I didn't expect. Geezer counts his chips, and ships it All-In for about $250. Button folds. I flash my cards to my neighbor, and make the easy fold. UTG +1 & +2 also folds.

Geezer shows KK, and scoops a nice pot, thanks to me.

Of course, there is also the question, "What if I looked down at KK, instead of QQ?"

No comments: