Followers

Friday, February 12, 2010

Hand of the Day #26

$2/$5 NLHE - MGM Detroit - 2.07.10

The Hyjack raises to $25. I'm the Button and call with 76c. Six players see a Flop of Ac Kc Ts. It checks around to the Hyjack, and he bets $100. My perception is that he has not played many hands, and has been rather tight. He's got about $225-$250 behind.

Now it's my turn. I did flop a Flush draw, and I have the Hyjack covered. With the pot odds of 2.5-1, I'm not getting the proper odds to call just to see one card (4-1) without getting paid off. Since he's been playing tight, I don't know if he will pay off a Flush with only one pair or even two pair.

I could raise it up, and try to blow him off his hand. But with the pot size being $250 (6x$25 + $100) plus whatever I bet, I don't think there is much fold equity in this spot, unless he is just betting QQ or JJ here.

Also, there are still four other players to act. One of them could have flopped a set or straight, and is waiting to check-raise. Or they could have a larger flush draw that might also include a pair or a straight draw (JTc for example). So, any money that I put in the pot could be almost drawing dead, especially if I raise and commit myself to the pot.

So I reluctantly did the only thing I could do ... Fold. And so did everyone else. The Hyjack took down the pot, and didn't show his hand.

Another point to consider is convert these number to a $1/$2 game, and ask the question, "Would I have called $40 on the Flop?" The truthful answer is Maybe. I have played $2/$5 very rarely in the past (6 sessions last year), and I think I do play a little tighter for one simple reason; the money still matters to me. If I loose $200 - $300 in the $1/$2 game, it's sucks but it doesn't hurt. If I lose $500 - $700 in the $2/$5 game, it does hurt. I do want to start playing bigger, and "Upping the Ante". Hopefully, I will start to look at the money a little different in the future.

No comments: