Followers

Friday, February 5, 2010

Hand of the Day #25

$1/$2 NLHE - Mountaineer - 01.28.10

I've got QQ in Early Position, so I pop it to $7. The next player raises to $19. He's a regular player who's name I think is Lyndel. He's a well respected player who's loose and aggressive. It folds around to the BB who calls. He's an older gentleman who just sat down. Since I'm out of position, and Lyndel's range is quite wide, I re-raise to $75. He thinks for a moment, looks at my stack, and calls. The BB folds.

Flop: Jd 9c 8s. I bet $100. Lyndel goes All-In. I've got $159 left, and he has me covered. Because he's a LAG player, I have no clue where I'm at right now. But the Pot is about $530, so calling $159 is good pot odds for what right now is a coin flip. Either I'm ahead or I'm behind. So I call.

The rest board is [Jd 9c 8s] 9h Qc. He shows his TT for a straight. I show my QQ for a boat, and scoop a $689 pot.

I'm a Small Ball player, and I absolutely hate playing a big pot with just an Overpair. I understand that sometimes you just gotta do it, but I was very uncomfortable putting $334 into the pot with just QQ.

I'm not sure if the "proper" move is to blow up the pot with the $75 raise preflop. On one side, I'm out of position against a good player, so I should try to keep the pot under control. (Play smaller pots out of position, and play bigger pots in position.)

On the other hand, I do have QQ, and I would rather try to take the pot down preflop. Also, if I just call the $19, and go to the Flop three handed, I don't know what would have happened.

1 comment:

Nomad said...

I think you played it right particularly since he is a loose aggressive player. Sometimes you just have to get it in there while you're ahead and if you get sucked out on well that's life.