Followers

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sometimes It's How Little You Lose

I arrived at the Greektown Poker Room at 11:15 on Monday for the 11:00 daily tournament. A little late, but they never start on time, so it shouldn't matter. But they said that the tournament already started, and they don't allow late buy-ins. The tournament had 24 players, meaning that there was six open seats at the three tables. I know that they have had late buy-ins for the first level in the old Poker Room, just like every other Poker Room in the country. But the Floorperson said, "Sir, I've been here for 10 years, and we have never allowed players to buy-in after the tourney has started."

Typical Greektown. One of many examples why they are one of the worst run Poker Rooms in this part of the country.

11:25 $200 - Since I wasn't allowed to give Greektown money to play in their tournament, I sat down at a $1/$2 table. There is nobody at this table over $300, and three players have under $100.

12:00 $101 - This is a fairly typical weekday $1/$2 table. Unfortunately, I can already tell that this will be a bad session. I've had a few annoying hands that didn't go as planned. For example, I flopped the beautiful Open-Ended Straight Flush draw (J9s - Qs Ts 4h) against what turned out to be Top Set. I bet on the Flop and Turn, and check/folded when I missed on the River.

12:30 $98 - I don't think I played a single hand.

1:00 $84 - This is pathetic. On a side note, today is New Dealer Day at Greektown. We have already had three new dealers, one of them had a "shadow" watching them. Some were OK, and others have a long way to go. They didn't hire new dealers. They just are cross training dealers from the Pit. 

1:30 $63 - I don't think that I've won a pot yet. The table almost broke as we got down to six handed. Fortunately, the crack staff of Greektown finally realized that they have a list of player waiting to fill the empty seats.

2:00 $232 - I finally got a hand, QQ. I decided to play it tricky, and either "Go Big or Go Home." I ended up more that tripling up by just checking and calling. 

Shortly after, I was the BB with J9. The Flop was J high, and everyone checked. I bet the $15 on the Turn, and got quickly raised to $45 by a new player who I have played with before ("Tony" from this post). I know he would have bet the J, so I think that he's either just raising some sort of straight draw, or he is just testing me. So I raise to $125. He says that I must have a set, and folds. 

2:35 $293 - I limped and called a $53 All-In by a short stack who has been shoving a decent amount. I had KJ, and he had AJ. The board Flushed out, and I won the pot. 

Since I finally got a little profit, I cashed out.

One of my poker sayings is, "Skill helps you win more when Luck is going good, and lose less when Luck is going bad." This trip was a good example of this. My cards in the Poker Rooms and in the Pit were butt ugly. And I ended up losing only $192. To me, that's a moral victory.

No comments: