Followers

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

Even though I have been to my regular Saturday night home game every week, I haven't done any blog entries about them. There is a very simple reason for this.

I haven't played much poker on any of these night.

The tournaments have been ugly. I haven't even made the final two tables of any game. The Cards have been bad. The Coin Flips have been all Tails. The Suckouts have been dramatic.

Most nights, I haven't played any cash. When I have, it was a short session, and not very interesting.

So, since I'm posting something, that means that things went better this past Saturday?

Nope.

We end up getting a Flash Mob of 45 players for no particular reason. And since most of them showed up (relatively) on-time, I didn't get to buy in until the end of Level 1. And when I finally got to play some hands, I played horribly. I played too many hands, did a lot of limping and calling, and did very little betting and raising. I dusted my starting stack fairly quickly. So I rebought with my 3k chip AddOn, and went into Lockdown Mode. I finally got involved with a Coin Flip (A7c vs 44). I Turned an Open-Ender and Flush draw, but whiffed the River. I was eliminated in 38th place. It was the second week in a row that I was out before the First Break.

On the Cash game side, I did play a little 8-Game before going to deal the Final Table. I won a nice pot in the Omaha-8 round against a new player, but the rest of the hands didn't go as well, and I lost $5. After the Final Table, I played about 1.5 hours. It went similar to the first session, and I lost $30.

But that wasn't even the best part of the evening.

There are two different types of "catching a cold". The first is the "near-death experience" that lasts for 24-36 hours, and maybe another day of recovery. The second, which I now have, is just a simple head cold. It starts out as just "the sniffles", and it slowly works its way from your sinuses to your throat and lungs. You can still function relatively normally. It just makes your life miserable for 10-14 days.

On Saturday night, I was in the early stages of this. I had a bit of head congestion, and touch of a sore throat. At the beginning of the evening, my voice was a 9/10. However, due to running a 45-player circus, my voice by the end of the night was a 0.5/10. At the time of typing this post on Tuesday night, my voice hasn't completely recovered. I still sound hoarse, and I don't have all the octaves. I have also started to develop a bit of a cough.

So by our next game on Saturday night, my voice should be back to normal. But nobody will be able to hear me talk. I'll be too busy coughing up a lung all night long.

No comments: