Followers

Sunday, November 7, 2010

I Might Quit No Limit Hold'em

Peppermill is having one of their tournament series this week. One of the tournaments today is a $120 Limit Crazy Pineapple Hi/Low at 4pm. I enjoy tournaments other than TV Poker, so I'm gonna play my first tournament since arriving in Reno.

In order to get some practice before the tournament, I went to the Peppermill last night to play some $4/$8 Omaha Hi/Low. It's not exactly the same as Limit Crazy Pineapple Hi/Low, but it's certainly closer than NLHE. I haven't played Omaha Hi/Low in a few weeks because I've been checking out other rooms in Reno.

Without a doubt, this was the best Omaha Hi/Lo table that I've ever played at. If this table ran everyday, I might quit No Limit Hold'em.

It had the usual assortment of "9-Card Bingo" players. But the difference at this table was two players who were not only playing every hand, but usually raising. One guy was there when I sat down, and he raised preflop around 80% of the hands. He had around $250 in Blue chips when I sat down. I think he rebought for $100 five or six times before I left. We had pots over $200 that were scooped by one player or another. I think the largest was about $250.

This was a Kill game, up to $6/$12. You get the Kill Button after you scoop a pot over $60. It was common at this table to have five or six Kill pots in a row. I only had the Kill Button one time, and I was already up $200 before I won that pot. Most of the pots I won were Lows. Of course, one of the Lows was over $100, and another was $80, and those were just half of the Pot. The $80 Low was capped on the River (5 Bets). I was the third player on the River. The Board was AJJ 7 5. I was just calling with my Nut Low, hoping that I would get my money back. The other two players had AJ and A7, and were raising each other.

I only won $231 in 4.5 hours, mostly because my starting hands were terrible. When the table is this crazy loose, I really stick to playing quality starting hands, and playing Position on the Action Guys. I went through a stretch of 45 minutes of not playing a single hand. I never had AAxx the entire night, I did get dealt Trips three times, and 4-Card Flushes twice.

The best starting hand I had was AQ32 rainbow, and it was my most annoying hand. I raised UTG, and of course got 3-Bet by one of the Action Guys. Six or seven players saw Flop of Qh 7c 6c. I lead out with Top Pair and the Nut Low Wrap. Five players saw the Turn [Qh 7c 6c] 7d. I check, and the Action Guy who 3-Bet preflop bet. I call with my Nut Low Wrap, along with others. Four players saw the River [Qh 7c 6c 7d] 6h. Agghhh! I check. Action Guy bets. All fold around to me. I really don't want to call with just AQ, but I'm get like 20-1. So I make the crying call, and he shows 77 for Quads. Sometimes this game can be very frustrating, but that was my only bad hand of the night.

As long as the game is half as juicy as this table was, I'm gonna play the $4/$8 Omaha Hi/Low every Saturday night, and any other night I see it running. On Wednesday, it was going, but I decided to play $1/$2 instead. I lost $420 in a very frustrating session.

No comments: