Followers

Monday, September 27, 2010

End Of An Era

Level 2 (50/100 NLHE) 9800 - For our Saturday night Home game, we do a Variety night tournament on the last Saturday of each month. This month, we tried a Mixed Hold'em tournament. One level is NLHE, and one level of Limit Hold'em. I completely forgot that it started early, so I arrived at the end of the 2nd level. When I bought in, there was 18 players on three tables. I was seated at Table 3, and had a horrible seat draw. Two of the most experienced Limit players (DougPoker and Meat) were on my Left.

Level 3 (200/400 Limit) 8700 - Being so early in the tournament, I'm trying to play tight in the Limit levels, so I can see how everyone is playing. I only won one pot. I raised on the Button with AJh, and took it down on the Flop.

Level 4 (100/200 NL) 8400 - Very card dead. It folded to me in the SB. I look down at AA, and raise to 500. The BB insta-folded.

At the end of the Level, our table broke. I got seated at Table 1, and it was a much better table draw. All of the experienced Limit players are at Table 2.

Level 5 (300/600 Limit) 21475 - I won a monster pot with KK that will be a future HOTD.

BREAK - 22 total Buy-Ins, and 19 players are left.

Level 6 (150/300 NL) 23550 - I only played one hand. I was in the SB with ATh, and I called a 900 raise. Four players saw a Flop of K T x. It was checked around. I bet 2500 on the Turn, and all folded.

Level 7 (500/1000 Limit) 19725 - Last hand of the level, a few players limped in. The Button (GrayDay) raised (2000). I'm the BB and look down at AQ. I decided to 3-Bet (3000) to isolate against the Button. The limpers fold, and Button capped it (4000). I call, and the Flop is K-high. I check, he bet (2000), and I call. Turn is another K. I check, and he bets (4000). Right now, the only hand that I'm ahead of is AJ, and I really doubt he would cap it preflop with AJ, so I fold. He shows KK for Quads.

Level 8 (250/500 NL) 20400 - Still really card dead. I did raise in the Cutoff with K3o to 1600. The BB (Jamie) called, and I won it with a Flop bet.

Level 9 (800/1600 Limit) 23100 - I won a pot in which I 3-Bet preflop with 88, bet the Flop, and it got check down on Turn and River. I lost a couple of other pots that I took a stab at. There is still way too much limping for this stage of the tournament. Some of the stacks are really getting short. They're just limping in trying to spike something, but they don't have the implied odds because it's Limit. That makes it really hard for me to steal blinds.

Level 10 (400/800 NL) 29000 - I was able to finally start to "Step On The Gas" a bit. I raised a couple of times to 2100, and won the Blinds. I also limped in the SB with J9o. Four players saw a J-high Flop. I check-raised from 2600 to 7600, and won the pot.

BREAK - 11 players are left, and we are one away from the Final Table.

Level 11 (1200/2400 Limit) 27400 - UTG (Jamie) raised (2400). Mid player (Boz) 3-Bet (3600). If folded to me in the SB, and I look down at 6d 6c. Both players are short stacked, and I'm guessing they're looking to get their chips in the middle. I figure their range of hands is on the wide side. My pair might be good, or not. Since I've got a good chip stack, I decided to gamble, so I capped it (4800). Both players call, and Mid is All-In. The Flop was A-high, so myself and UTG check it down. UTG has KJs, and missed. Mid had K9o, and hit the 9 on the Turn. I picked up a Flush Draw on the Turn, but missed. Mid ends up winning the large pot.

Shortly after this hand, we get to the Final Table. I've got 27400 chips, and I'm 3rd or 4th in chips. I have a good seat draw because all of the bigger stacks are on my Right, including the Chip Leader who is on my direct Right.

Level 12 (600/1200 NL) 19000 - One player limped in. I'm Mid with AQs, and raised to 4100. Three players called, and one other players goes All-In for just 1000. The Flop was J-high, and the limper (Data) wins the pot with AJ. Later, I stabbed at a pot out of the BB, but I got called and lost.

Level 13 (2k/4k Limit) 13000 - I didn't play a single hand, and blinded out. This is getting very frustrating because I have no cards to play. I need to stay patient, and keep grinding. Because of the Mixed format, I'm definitely the favorite at this table, if I can get a hold of some some chips.

Level 14 (1k/2k NL) 0 - One player limped in. I'm on the Button, and look down at KJo. I normally don't like to ship All-In when there is a limper, but this is the closest thing to a real hand that I've seen since AQ two levels ago. I ship it for 13k. And just like what has happened so many times in the last few months, the SB (GrayDay) looks at his cards, and quickly calls with QQ. Of course, I completely miss my 3-outer, but he does hit Queens Full just to add some salt into the wound. I finish in 7th place.



This tournament, and the following Cash game that went just as well as the tournament, was my final Event in the CPMG. I really, really want to win this one, and go out with a Bang, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Even though I did go out with a Thud, my five year run in the CPMG has been a good one. I have 21 tournament wins, which I believe puts me in 2nd place behind Data, our esteemed Tournament Director, who is somewhere in the mid 20's for wins. I also hold the record for largest tournament cash with $3900 back in Feb, 2007. I'm sure that I'm in the Top 3 for Total Tournament Winnings, but nobody keeps track of that stuff.

2 comments:

diverjoules said...

Some of us keep track. I do just to make sure I am winning more than I am losing. So far so good. Have a safe/fun move to Reno Greg.

GregDude said...

I know that many players keep track of their own numbers. What I was referring to is the Group numbers.

Who has won the most tournaments and who has won the most money is record for the "Pros", but we have no idea in our own group.

The only reason I know about Data's win total was that it had come up in some of our early morning visits to Denny's and IHOP after the tournaments.