Followers

Monday, September 6, 2010

Giving The Term "Blowout" A Whole New Meaning

On Saturday night, our regular Home game started back up after the summer hiatus. Being the first Saturday back, and being Labor Day Weekend, we did a Pot Luck Cook-Out before the tournament started.

The tournament ended up with 62 players. No, that's not a typo. We actually had 62 players for a basement tournament, and that's a CPMG record.  Not all were seated at the same time. We started with 49 players at five tables. As late players came, the 6th table was opened up to seat 8 players, and other seats opened up due to bustouts.

As most of you know, I'm moving to Reno next month, so I'm no longer the Tournament Director of this game. Since this is the first event that I haven't had to run, I did a Running Log of it. However, I busted out in Level 4, so it's just not worth printing.

With such a big crowd, I didn't think that a "Fold To The Final Table" strategy was a good idea. My JJ ran into KK for my first 5k buy-in. I rebought with my 3k Add-On. I ended up shoving All-In with an Open-Ender against Two Pair, and missed.

Since I was out so early, I helped out running things for a bit before I jumped into the Cash games. The first Cash table ($1/$1 NL) was opened up on the 7th table, a small octagon table that was set-up in the garage.  The second table ($1/$1 NL) was set up after Table 6 was broken in the tournament. The third table was started after Table 5 was broken by the tournament. That table was something new for our game, a $1/$3 ($400 max). We tried it out for the first time because the $1/$1 ($150 max) is just too small for some of our Action Junkies. It was a success, as both the $1/$3 and a $1/$1 game ran until we shut down at 4:30am.

As for my Cash game, I bounced between the $1/$1 tables and the $1/$3 table. I finished the night down $160, thanks mostly to one hand at the $1/$3 table...

We had been playing at the table for a while now, and I limped in Mid with 77. The player two seats to my Left (GrayDay) raised to $40. It folded back around to me. $40 is kinda crazy for a $1/$3 table, but GrayDay gets kinda crazy as he gets more drunk. And he was starting to get frisky and more crazy. I figured he wouldn't raise like that with a "real" hand, so I went All-In for around $170ish.

As it turns out, I was right. He wouldn't raise to $40, but he would 3-Bet to $40. One minor detail that I didn't notice was the player between us (Caveman) raised to $12. And Caveman went All-In immediately after I did. When I realized what had just happened, my first thought was, "I am SO dead." GrayDay thought for a bit, and finally folded TT. As you've probably already figured out, Caveman showed his AA. He flopped an A on the Flop, and a T on the Turn might have cost GrayDay a chunk of chips if I didn't screw up.

I'm sure he'll thank me someday.

No comments: