Followers

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hand Of The Day #55

Today's hand is a classic from days gone by. It's from my very first CPMG Home game back on the day after Christmas of 2005.

I found out about the CPMG by accident. I was look for something on the Web, and I stumbled upon the Meetup.com website. I looked through it, and came across the Cleveland Poker Meetup Group. I was into poker through TV, and playing a bit online (mostly Play Money), so I thought I'd give it a try.

There weren't many games back then. But one of the players, El Diabl0, held a $1-$5 Spread Limit Dealer's Choice game. There was just one table (maybe eight players), and all of the silly games were played like Follow The Queen, Acey Duecy, Roll Your Own, and a bunch of other games which I don't remember the names. I ended up winning around $125 that night. I would like to think that it was due to skill and cunning, but it probably was due to hands like this...

I was the Dealer, and I picked 5-A Triple Draw. No particular reason, but I picked a different game each time. The Cutoff (Bricker) raised it to $5. My hand wasn't very good with the only good card being a 5. But I was the Button, so I called. After all, I did have three draws to improve. A few other players called as well. Naturally, I kept the 5 and drew four cards. Those cards were 4 3 2 A. Yeah, I drew four cards, and hit the Wheel. That's how I roll.

After the first draw, he bet out $5, and I raised to $10. Everyone else folded, and he raised to $15. I then raised, and he raised. This went on for a bit, and neither one of us draw a card. Then there was even more Betting and Raising.

By the time we finally got to Showdown, there was a large pile of Red chips in the middle. Sorry, but I don't remember how much was in the pot. It was five years ago. He was dealt a 6-Low, something like 6 5 3 2 A, which is a damn good hand to be dealt. But it didn't beat my Nut 5-Low.

No comments: