Followers

Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Look At Some Numbers

As I've mentioned before, I keep track of my Poker numbers in a database. I think it's much easier to compare different stats in a database, rather than a spreadsheet.

Back in September '09, I added two new columns to the database involving Time. I never kept track of my hourly rate before. But with so many "Pros" discussing their win rate, I figured it was time to start.

Since it's been just over a year, I figured there should be enough of a sample size to look over the numbers. However, the only game with a large numbers of hours is $1/$2 NL. Both $2/$5 NL and $3/$6 Limit are under 30 hours each.

For theses numbers, I have combined $1/$2 and $1/$3 NL since I have not played much $1/$3, and they're essentially the same game.

Total Profit: $6055
Total Hours: 291.75
Total Sessions: 86
Avg per Hour: $20.75
Avg Session: 3.4 hrs

The "Pros" say you should be averaging between $20 - $25 per hour at $1/$2, so I'm right on pace. The thing that might seem strange to some people is the Avg Session being only 3.4 hours. I know that many players brag about how they play for 12-18 hours and even all-nighters. But for me, a six hour session is a long one. That may change a bit when I'm living five minutes from various poker rooms.

I said at the start of this post that I added two columns to my database. The other column besides Hours was Time Period. This is used to keep track of which Time Period that I'm playing. There are four Time Periods that I'm using: Weekday (Mon-Fri before 7pm), Weekday Night (Mon-Thu after 7pm), Weekend Day (Sat & Sun before 7pm), and Weekend Night (Fri-Sun after 7pm).

The point of this is to see if there is any difference in win rates between the different Time Periods. However, some of these Time Periods have a small sample size, so I'm not sure how accurate they may be in the long run.

Weekday: 35 sessions, $2946, 122.5 hrs, $24.05/hr
Weekday Night: 19 sessions, $1720, 61.5 hrs, $27.97/hr
Weekend Day: 22 sessions, $763, 73 hrs, $10.45/hr
Weekend Night: 10 sessions, $626, 34.75 hrs, $18.01/hr

I'm a little surprised by these numbers. I would have assumed that Weekends would be more profitable than Weekdays because Weekends would have more Recreational Players than Grinders. But certainly a sample of 10 sessions is rather small. I will definitely look at these numbers again next year after I've been in Reno for a while.

4 comments:

diverjoules said...

like your new look!!!

GregDude said...

Thanks.

I figured a new start for me means a new Blog Name, and a new Look. There may still be a bit of tweaking, but this is the basic Look going forward.

Jen said...

The new look kind of gives me a headache. But, I love the stuff you write so I will still read.

GregDude said...

Do you have any suggestion for the look? I like it, in general. But I'm willing to tweak it a bit.