Followers

Thursday, December 31, 2009

HO Down II

On Saturday night, we had another variety tournament. This time it was the HO Down, a NLHE and PLO tournament. Levels 1, 3, 5, ect are NLHE, and Levels 2, 4, 6, etc are PLO. The buy-in and structure are the same as the regular tournament.

Despite being the day after Christmas, we ended up with 31 players which was the same as last year.

My tournament got off to a great start. I caught a few cards, and played some good poker. I got to the first break with 19200 chips. And that was in spite of losing 4900 on a cooler; bottom two pair vs top two pair on the Flop.

The next part of the tourney didn't go as well. The first dent out of my big stack came in Level 6 (200/400 PLO). There were a few limpers. I was in the SB with As AKJc, and raised Pot to 2800. The BB, who was short stacked, decided to push All-In for 1100 more with T9d 85o. He ended up hitting two pair on the Turn.

I lost another chunk in a Blind vs Blind hand when I flopped two pair and he rivered a straight.

In Level 10 (800/1600 PLO), I had about 15k, and raised to 5k with 8c87h6s. I had one caller who limped before me. The Flop was Jd Td 5h. He shoved All-In. I did hit this Flop with a bottom wrap and backdoor flush draw, but my draws could easily be crushed. I ended up folding, and waiting for a better spot. In hindsight, this was a mistake. As someone pointed out, you just gotta shove it in when you're short stacked in PLO. My inexperience in PLO tourneys showed.

I ended up busting out in 11th place later that level.

For the Cash game, I ended up playing at the TV Poker (NLHE) table instead of the 8-Game table. I saw some spots that made it a better choice. I only got to play for 1.5 hours, but cashed out up $154. Some one pushed All-In for $90 with top pair after I turned two pair. I picked off a bluff against someone on the Button. I even lost $80 on a three barrel bluff against someone who just can not fold. Hopefully that was an investment that will be returned with interest in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just incase you forgot to look it up....AAKJ is only a 58 to 42 favorite over T985.

The pot was laying me slightly over 3 to 1 to push in there, with all the dead money that would be created.

So while behind, it was a good push for me. You just got unlucky.

Meat