Followers

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dusting Off the Chemistry Set

My basic strategy at my Saturday night home game has been "Fold to the Final Table". This was due to my TD duties, as well as the structure being a little fast compared to our other home tournaments. Once I get to the Final Table, I can do my thing, and I cash more often then not.

And for a two table tournament, or even 25 players, "Folding to the Final Table" was working OK for me. But now that our games are getting between 35-45 players, my basic strategy just doesn't work. I realized this last week when I didn't win a single pot, and was blinded off by Level 6 (300/600).

I've also noticed something else lately. I've won nine home tournaments in the last two years. The largest field was only 27 players.

I would consider myself an Above Average to Good tourney player. The one gear that I don't have is Chip Accumulator. I have no clue how to build a big stack without getting run over by the deck.

So tonight's crowd of 35 players seemed like a good time to start experimenting on some stuff. I really changed up my playing style in the five levels before the first break. I'm not going into details about what I did differently, since some of you fine readers are playing with me on Saturdays. But overall, I was pleased with the results. I had a goal of 15k at the first break. I ended up with 12125 + the 3k AddOn that I hadn't used yet. I did get a little lucky in a hand against Malcolm, but the rest of my chips were gotten with the new stuff.

So with some chips, I kept doing some of those things after the break, just not as often. And it went well. At the 2nd break, I had 22k with 14 players left. After the break, players were knocked out fairly quickly, and I made it to the Final Table with about the same size stack, which was a little under average.

At the Final Table, I didn't get run over with the deck, so I just hung around and did my thing. I ended up in 5th place for a min cash of $70 which is only my second cash and second Final Table of this season of 11 games. At the 2500/5000 level, I had just under 30k in the BB. I looked down at KTo and shoved against the SB (RR Dave) who limp in with AA. It's a bit of a cooler for me, but it was a standard shove with just 6 Big Blinds left.

1 comment:

diverjoules said...

As always it was fun playing with you. But having you at the final table is always un-nerving. LOL.. You are hard to play against. Which of course a compliment. Thanks for all you do Greg.